Katelyn Corridon ’14 Relay For Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As one of the most prominent fund raisers on grounds, University of Virginia’s annual Relay for Life always turns out to be a success. It raises a significant amount of money each year for the American Cancer society. Relay for Life celebrates the lives of survivors, helps the fight against cancer, and remembers all those we have lost to battle against cancer. From 6 pm to 6 am, Relay for Life is an event that is beyond impressive- with good food, good entertainment, and good company. Pulling together such a successful event requires the efforts of their hard working Executive Board of 75. Second year Katelyn Corridon is a part of the executive team, helping Relay in between her busy schedule of school and working with Women’s Lacrosse on the UVa Sports Medicine staff. Through her contributions, Katelyn helps to make Relay the success it is.

Major? Kinesiology

Hometown?Oakton, Virginia

What exactly is your role with Relay For Life?I’m on the Corporate Sponsorship Committee for Relay For Life Executive Board. The Corporate Sponsorship committee is in charge of getting businesses and other sponsors for the Relay Event on April 13th to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

How did you become a member of the exec committee and why did you decide to do so?I applied for Relay For Life Exec at the end of second semester last year.  I decided to join after being apart of the Alpha Phi team my first year (Spring 2011). I also have a strong connection to the American Cancer Society and the Relay For Life mission. My cousin Grayson is fighting childhood Leukemia and my Grandmother just recently lost her battle against Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Raising money for the American Cancer Society through participating in Relay For Life and helping run the event and make it more successful is a way I can fight for and honor them.

Have you always been involved with Relay For Life?I didn’t get involved with Relay For Life until I got to UVA but I have been involved for the past two years. Relay wasn’t a big organization or event in my area or at my High School but I have really enjoyed getting involved since getting to UVA.

What is your favorite moment during Relay For Life?I have enjoyed all of our different fundraisers and activities leading up to the Relay Event on April 13th but during the Relay For Life event, my favorite moment is the Luminaria Ceremony. Luminaria, white bags with candles inside, surround the track. Each bag has a name of a Relay participant’s friend or family member who is fighting or has lost their battle to cancer. As everyone walks around the track to look at each of the names, a slide show plays with pictures people have sent in of their loved ones fighting or lost to cancer. It’s a sweet but serious moment during a fun and upbeat event that reminds us all what we are really here for and what are goal is. It puts faces and names to our goal to find a cure for cancer.

Is there anything new or different we can expect from Relay this year?Every year we are hoping to raise more money and have more teams participate in Relay. This year we are hoping to raise $100,000 and have over 1,000 participants. Each year we have guest speakers who are cancer survivors involved with UVA, acapella groups, dance groups, a DJ and other entertainment and always a ton of food. The Entertainment Committee always has a few surprises for us as well. Each team has a game or activity at their “campsite” as a fundraiser. The event is always exciting and we are excited to have it out on Carrs Hill Field this year since it had to be in Memorial Gymnasium last year because of rain.

What have you learned from your experience working with Relay For Life?I have learned that it takes a ton of people working together and a lot of time committed to put on an event so successful. I’ve also learned that when so many people have one goal in mind, so much can be accomplished.

Do you hope to continue to be involved? Ihope to continue being involved for my next two years at UVA and after I graduate and I hope to continue to be an even more influential part of Relay For Life.

How can I get involved?Getting involved is super easy and our event is this Friday, April 13! Join a team or make a team with your friends and help raise money!

Websites: http://www.relayforlife.student.virginia.edu/
            http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=41409