Kalia Batistas ‘19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Kalia Batistas

Year: 2nd

Major: Foreign Affairs

What are you involved with on Grounds?

Girl Up. It’s really fun and I love it!. We talk about a lot of the issues and challenges faced locally and abroad by girls today, and how we can get involved. The girls are super funny and nice, and it’s a super comfortable environment.

What is your favorite thing about UVA so far?

I love that there’s always something to do or get involved in around Grounds.

What was your favorite course this semester?

People and cultures of the Middle East. It’s super interesting and we discussed the Middle East in a way I never thought about before.

What do you want to accomplish before graduating?

I want to successfully run a half marathon, travel to Dubai, and try as many restaurants as I can in Charlottesville.

Do you have any advice for freshmen struggling with finals?

Sometimes I try to remember how lucky I am to even have the chance to take finals in college because so many people around the world wish they had this opportunity. No matter how you do, life still goes on.

What are you most excited for during winter break?

I’m excited to visit my cousin in Los Angeles, see my friends, and to watch Netflix without feeling guilty!

Hello! I'm Dahlia Hamandi, and I'm a fourth year media studies major at the University of Virginia. Some of my hobbies and passions include fashion, photography, cinematography, and watching an excessive amount of YouTube!