This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Music can make almost any situation better and provide an escape from stressful days, which is exactly what I have been doing the last week or so by listening to Joji’s most recent album: Nectar. I had only heard one or two of Joji’s songs before this album, namely “SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK,” which is probably his most well-known song. However, in the interest of finding new music, I decided to give this album a try. It took no time at all for me to become addicted; this is literally the only thing I have been listening to! If you want to give the album a listen, but have no clue where to start, try one of my three favorite songs from the album.

Sanctuary

This is undoubtedly my favorite song off the album. Joji’s voice shines in a way that can be easy to miss in some of his past, more popular songs. The song refers to a potential lover as a sanctuary and choruses the clever lyric, “If you’ve been waiting for falling in love, babe, you don’t have to wait on me,” which is so romantic and sweet.

Pretty Boy (feat. Lil Yachty)

This song features a more familiar sound yet still maintains Joji’s unique spin. It features Lil Yachty, who, if you don’t already, you should follow on TikTok immediately. This is one of those songs you can’t help but sing along to and listen to on repeat.

Mr. Hollywood

This song slows things down a bit, and just has a sound that cannot get old; at least, it hasn’t in the 3500 times I’ve played it! The song refers to his fame found after his rise in popularity due to “SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK.” Joji’s voice just sounds so melancholy and beautiful in this one. 

Picking just three songs from this album proved to be a bigger challenge than I expected: so you should definitely just go and listen to it all three times through at least!

Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!