This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Joe Harris, whose father is a basketball coach, grew up in the gym starting basketball at the age of four. Coming from a small town in Washington, Joe has taken Charlottesville and Cavalier basketball by storm. From being ranked 3rd in the ACC in three-point shooting his first year as a Cavalier to playing in over eight games with a broken hand last season and the most recent accomplishment of reaching a career record of 1,000 points halfway through his 3rd season, the 6’6” starting guard shows leadership and passion for the game both on and off the court. Between the demanding responsibilities and commitment that come with being a D1 athlete and the rigorous UVA academic curriculum, Joe finds time to volunteer his time within the Charlottesville community. Whether you are one of his teammates, classmates or just passing him on grounds, Joe’s humbleness is clear to all around him. Read on to learn a little bit more about this campus celeb.

The Basics

Major: Sociology

Year: 3rd

Hometown: Lake Chelan, Washington

UVA Life

Activities outside of Basketball: IMP Society, ACE (Athlete Community Engagement), SAAC (Student Athlete Advisory Committee), Intramural Badminton/ Squash

Favorite class: Business Ethics with Paul Harper

Favorite Dining Hall: Newcomb

Love Life

Single or Taken: Single

Celebrity Girl Crush: Rachel McAdams

What has been the most challenging part about having to balance being a student athlete and trying to enjoy a social life of a typical college student? Being a student athlete takes up a majority of your time, especially during the season. But we are still able to get out and have a good time (More so in our offseason)

What is your favorite memory of your basketball career at UVA thus far? Making the NCAA tournament last year.

What is your pump up song before games? Usually something slower to help me just relax

Who would you say is your biggest role model? My Dad, I have always looked up to up him.

If you weren’t playing basketball, what sport would you play? Football, I played Qb in high school and love the game

Outside of basketball, what is your favorite thing to do? Hang out with my friends and just relax. I like to go fishing, and be outside when the weather is nice.

Favorite place to eat on the corner? Probably Boylan Heights or Lil Johns

What is your hidden talent?  Foosball