The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The promise of shiny and heavenly smelling hair is enough to make any shampoo appealing. You can walk around campus with the most gorgeous hair but what happens with the shampoo that went down the drain? Take a look into the fine print on your shampoo bottle and you will be shocked to see that the ingredients are both damaging to your hair and the environment. Here are some ingredients you should avoid and why.

Fragrances

Say goodbye to the artificial scents of vanilla and coconut. Under the loophole of “fragrance”, many companies sneak harsh chemicals into your shampoo – its a trade secret. Not knowing what exactly was put into the fragrance can bring up many potential health and environmental risks. These include skin irritation, asthma and even cancer. Chemicals can find their way from down the drain into your local aquatic life. Instead, take a look into shampoos with natural fragrances and oils.

Parabens

This is what keeps your shampoo on the shelf for years. But trading a long-lasting shampoo is not worth the increased growth of breast cancer cells. In the environment, Parabens are known for killing corals and have been found inside marine life.

TRICLOSAN

Prepare to be shocked. This harmful chemical was banned from antibacterial soaps in 2016 but to this day, is still allowed in your shampoo. When Triclosan makes contact with tap water, it forms a human carcinogen known as chloroform. This can disrupt your hormones, leading to a potential cancer risk. In the environment, Triclosan is known to harm algae and disrupt fish eggs and development.

SAY YES TO….

Shampoo bars! Just like a soap bar, its zero waste. Brands like Ethique and EcoRoots even package the wrapping in all recyclable material. Plaine Products has a unique method of sustainability where you can send your shampoo bottle to get refilled. All these brands shampoo’s consist of ingredients that are non-toxic, vegan and have ethical sourcing. Switch to sustainable shampoo!

My name is Yuni Choi and I am a second-year at the University of Virginia. In my free time, I enjoy organizing my Spotify playlists!