samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

This summer I had the opportunity to intern for two months and it was hands down one of the best experiences I’ve had, I’m still in awe at how fast time went by. The good thing about internships is that it’s only a taste of whatever field you’re shadowing in but it’s still a really good way to get some professional experience-all while still having fun!

Post my experience, I’ve done some reflecting and have walked away with five pointers that I want my future self to take into account when entering the professional (eeeek) world. I hope these help you too in whatever your future endeavors may be!

1.     Dress for success.

I know this is kind of a superficial point but it can’t be stressed enough- present yourself in a way that you are proud of. I also think it’s important to dress for the environment so make sure to adapt to wherever you’re working/interning/whatevering in. For example, I showed up the first day of my internship wearing a blazer, long pencil skirt and heels but quickly realized the office I was at was a little bit more relaxed so I could make some accommodations all the while still looking professional.

2.     Figure out your vantage point.

Figure out what you can contribute to them and what they can contribute to you, the faster you do that, the easier it’ll be to become as efficient as possible. An employer-employee relationship shouldn’t’t be a give-take dynamic but rather a give-give one. Plus if you make it clear what your “special talent” or “distinguishing feature” is to your boss, they’ll soon see that they can’t be without it.

3.     Smile and be kind.

Seriously, it’s not hard to say “Hello sir”, “Goodbye ma’am”, etc. and it makes all the difference. Also, smile- you’re at work, not in detention.

4.     Absorb everything.

This one is pretty straightforward but you don’t realize how much you’ve learned until after the fact once you reflect on everything. So, my tip is to write a mini summary of the day/week/month and write down 5-10 things you’ve learned throughout the experience. I kept all my notes, research, etc. and I’m currently writing a sort of summary of my overall experience for my personal benefit. Pro tip: this also comes in handy when you have to recall what you did and talk about it in future interviews (trust me on this one).

5.     Don’t be afraid to ask questions.

Ask away- I mean the reason you’re there is to learn, contribute and just in general take away something from the experience. If you aren’t exchanging ideas and asking questions- how do you expect to grow? I went to this event during my internship and it was obviously for more advanced people but I still asked the most basic of basic questions. Did I look a little bit dumb at times? I most definitely thought so…but I know for a fact they appreciated that I was interested in the subjects they presented to me. So, don’t be scared and continue to ask away! 

Smile, it makes you live longer!