template 11png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
template 11png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Summer Harvey
Style

How to Wear Plaid Pants: 3 Ways to Style the Hottest Style of the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Leaves are turning colors and falling off the trees, which can only mean one thing: it’s time for plaid. Though associated with 90s hipsters and the people of Oregon (real plaid hipsters know that it originated in 1500s Scotland), plaid is an evergreen fashion for everyone. The pattern has lasted through the centuries, especially flourishing in the punk and grunge movements of the 70s, 80s, and 90s, through the current. 

Plaid might be a total fall staple, but I’ve been afraid of embracing the full trend by wearing plaid pants. I can do a skirt or a cute flannel, but trying pants seemed too hard. Luckily, for the benefit of my own style, my two plaid-pant-wearing-friends peer-pressured me into facing my tartan-inspired fears. Now that I’m fully obsessed with the style, I’ve thrown together 3 totally doable and fun outfits featuring the elusive plaid pants that you’ve got to try this season.

Business Casual

I love the versatility of plaid. You can easily dress it down or up, making this a classy option for a class presentation, casual interview, or internship!

Pants: Vintage America Body Sculpting Tattersall Check Skinny Pant

Shirt: Old Navy Luxe Slub-Knit V-Neck Plus-Size Tee

Blazer (similar): Banana Republic Knit Pique Academy Blazer

Shoes (similar): Dr. Martens Polley Virgina

Necklace (similar): TreasureBay Multi-Color Freshwater Pearl Necklace

90s Chill

There’s a long list of perfect scenarios for this outfit. Dinner with friends? Adorable. Date night at the movies? Great choice! Errands with your mom? Absolutely iconic. Swap out the jean jacket for a worn leather jacket for an even grungier option. 

Jacket (similar): Vero Moda denim jacket

Shoes: Dr. Martens Women’s 1460 Smooth

Lazy Day Chic

All credit for this outfit goes to the one and only Avrie Sauer, class of 2022, my roommate, good friend, and photographer. She’s also a bit of a plaid pant connoisseur. Avrie was the one who, when I was planning these outfits, encouraged me to try pairing the classy-looking pants with a random T-shirt. I loved it so much that I wore the outfit for the rest of the day and got a ton of compliments. Tie a flannel, denim shirt, or jacket around your waist (a la 7th grade, when you got your period at school) and rock this casual look with confidence. 

Shirt (similar): Women’s Harry Potter Short-Sleeve Hogwarts Cropped T-Shirt

Jacket (similar): COLLUSION Unisex oversized denim shirt in mid wash blue

Shoes: Chuck Taylor All Star White High Top

Hi! I'm Summer! I'm a fourth-year biology major at the University of Virginia, and President/Campus Correspondent for HCUVA. I love HC because it elevates the female voice and provides a platform for my passions in an awesome #girlsquad community! I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thanks for checking out my page, and happy reading!