This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

In high school, it feels like there are a million different clubs with about a million different goals and activities. It can get overwhelming very quickly to choose which clubs to join. And even if you do join a club, you may feel like just another member, lost in the herd. So how do you stand out and make an impact?

First, don’t join every single club. It may seem like a good idea to just write down your name on every club’s sign-up sheet. But when you get spammed with emails from every club, it can get overwhelming fast, and far too easy to just delete all the emails and not go to any meeting. Instead, find a few that really pique your interest, and commit to attending those meetings. Dedicate your time and energy towards clubs that you are truly passionate about and interested in. 

Next, find out ways you can get more involved. Is there an executive committee that you can run for? Do you know someone who could help your club get their message out? Do you have a fun activity planned that your club could participate in? No idea is silly. Make sure to put yourself out there and show that you’re able to take charge and go the extra mile to help out in a club you truly love.

Finally, if the club you are seeking isn’t there at your school, create it! Gather some friends together and see if you are all interested in forming a club that you all will have fun running. It could be a cultural club, a book reading club, or even a dance club. As long as you have enough people interested, no club idea is a silly one. It’s all about what you want to do.

Remember not to stress out! There is no minimum number of leadership positions you have to hold in clubs to show that you are involved. Even if you are a part of only one club, as long as you put your whole heart and soul into it, know that you are dedicated.

Hi there! My name is Nikitha Yemisetty and I'm a first-year student at UVA looking to major in psychology and statistics on the pre-med track. In my free time, I love reading books, online shopping, and going on walks outside with my friends! Thank you for taking the time to read my pieces!