How Science Tells You to Study

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Midterm time has ended and whether you got a bad grade you are desperate to improve, or you did great and want to keep it up, now is the time to reevaluate your study habits and make smart studying choices.  For many of us, it is hard to find ways that work, luckily scientists have done this for us. 

Think you have found the perfect place to study? Well, consider switching it up!

Studies have shown that moving around and studying in a variety of areas as opposed to sticking to one prime location can improve your ability to retain knowledge.  Some suggest this may be because you tend to associate what you study with the conditions under which you study them, therefore, if you study under differing settings you will be more likely to recall the material in any situation.  This is important because you will probably not be able to take every test in the same place that you study.  So try studying in Alderman, Clemmons, Newcomb, the amphitheater, an outside bench, a nook in the serpentine walls and all other possibilities!

Test yourself

A study published in the science magazine revealed that students who are tested after reading a passage are more likely to remember the information in the long run.  So take advantage of the reading questions in your textbook and test your ability to recall the information. 

Music or no Music?

Music is a mood enhancer, essential to self-expression, and can be useful in shutting out background sounds, but will it help you study?  Well, it depends on the person.  Studies have shown that it helps some people concentrate while it distracts other people.  However, music with lyrics has shown to be detrimental to both kinds of studiers.  So go ahead and try it out, but if anything, sticking to classical music might be best.

Stay fueled

We have all heard the advantages of a good breakfast the morning of your test, but a study at Oxford University revealed that your diet for the entire week before can have an effect too.  Make sure to balance your weekly meals to include lots of fruits and vegetables. And when it comes to the morning of an exam, make sure your breakfast contains foods that are high in fiber and carbs, and are digested slowly.  Oatmeal is a pretty safe bet!

When to tackle the hard stuff

Study the hardest material the night before the test.  Due to the serial positioning effect you are more likely to remember the material you studied last than that that you reviewed mid studying.  Therefore, reviewing the most difficult material last, right before you get into bed, will help you recall that tricky material on the test the next morning.

Why focus on one topic when you can knock them all out?!

Instead of sticking to one subject, study a variety of material in one sitting.  The University of South Florida demonstrated that adding a variety of problems to your studying can help you rationalize how to choose the best approach for another problem.  This means that when you see a question on your next assessment, you will quickly be able to reason a solution instead of taking the time to consider each different topic individually.  So don’t be afraid to jump around between chapters, or even between classes, and get all your studying done.  

Don’t be afraid to relax

Setting a time for a study break can be the light at the end of the tunnel you need to keep you working.  Science tells us that study breaks can increase our productivity and our ability to pay attention.  So give yourself the incentive of a gossip session with your bestie, coffee break, or a walk on the beautiful lawn between all your hard work.  After all that studying, you deserve to treat yourself!

Keep in mind that everyone works differently. These may not all work perfectly for you but it can’t hurt to try some out.  Happy Studying!

Callie Phillips is a first year in the College of Arts and Sciences at UVa.