This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

It’s that time of the year again: the days are getting shorter, the temperatures are dropping, and the fall-themed foods are coming out in full swing. But along with the pumpkin spiced lattes and apple cider donuts comes the annual struggle of creating a wardrobe warm enough for the cooler temperatures without digging up the winter coats and sweaters or breaking the bank. Here are some easy ways to transition your summer wardrobe to fall without spending a fortune.

Add a long sleeve shirt or turtleneck underneath a summer top or dress. 

Putting on a long sleeve tee underneath your favorite summer staples is an easy way to add some extra warmth without having to reinvent your entire closet. Bonus points: turtlenecks are definitely in style this winter.

Layer up with a cardigan.

Full disclosure, I wear my cardigans probably way too often, but they’re literally so comfortable. Cardigans are cute and versatile, and add at least an extra month of wear on any summer tops or dresses. You can also button them up and wear them alone for even more possible looks.

Or a denim jacket

Denim jackets are a fall must-have: they add some extra warmth without feeling cumbersome and level up any outfit you add them to. Denim jackets may be somewhat expensive, but trust me, you’ll wear them for years to come.

Or a moto jacket

Leather jackets may conjure up images of intense biker gangs and such, but they can also be adorable and chic, if worn correctly. Moto jackets are a staple of NYC and Parisian fashion and are perfect for the cooler temperatures of fall. Moto jackets come in all styles and colors so it won’t be hard to find one you like. Try a white moto jacket for a more a feminine look, or a black one for a slightly edgy look. Also, good news: most moto jackets come in vegan leather forms. It’s all about sustainability!

Or a teddy coat.

As you can see, fall is all about layering, and teddy coats (aka sherpa jackets) are a super comfy way of adding extra warmth and style. They honestly feel like you’re wearing a huge blanket, but also look super stylish with everything from jeans, to biker shorts or sweatpants. You can also find pretty cheap but high-quality versions at most chain retailers. Seriously, go buy one!

Organize a clothing swap with your friends.

This is an easy way to update your closet with new clothes without spending a lot of money. Grab a couple of your friends and bring all your unwanted, but good-condition clothing. Then just go through and pick your favorites from your friends’ piles. Clothing swaps are a quick and free way to spend time with your friends and get stylish new clothes.

Go thrifting!

Let’s be honest: sometimes you just need new clothes. If you want a small update for your closet for fall, but don’t want to spend a fortune, try thrifting. Thrifting is a great way to find fun, unique pieces without the expensive price tag. Vintage clothes are also a big trend right now, making thrift shops a perfect way to get in on the trend.

Fall weather doesn’t mean you have to spend a bunch of money on new clothes. With these tips, you can easily transition your summer wardrobe into fall. This fall is coming with added stress (think school, exams, coronavirus) but your wardrobe won’t be a cause.

Alexandra Holmes is a first-year at UVA on a pre-med track. She loves dogs, traveling, and spending too much money on books.
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!