This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Over-Consumption is recently becoming a topic of discussion, however, it is slow to gain popularity. Over-Consumption is something many of us may struggle with. I have struggled with this before, but I am just now getting out of this habit. In attempts to help others that deal with this, I will be sharing my best tips.

Shopping

Oh, how I love shopping. From a young age, my grandmother would take my cousins and I to the mall a couple times a year (usually for back-to-school season and Christmas). Of course, money was a foreign concept as a child. However, now that I am old enough to work on my own and make money for myself, shopping is even more personal. I am no longer receiving gifts from others. I am now the sole decision maker in what I buy for myself.

Shopping can take the form of a shopping addiction, A.K.A, Shopaholic. This can happen very quickly. We find ourselves surrounded by creators on TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, and more, shoving the next hit product down our throats. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for a “treat yourself” mentality when the time and circumstances are right. I am also for supporting businesses, especially small businesses. However, there comes a point when we are shopping just for the high of it instead of purchasing items that we truly need, want, and will value.

One tip that I have for this is just putting items in your cart when you find something you like. Once you put the item in your cart, sleep on it. Chances are, if you keep sleeping on it, you do not truly need or want the item. If a week or more passes, let it go completely.

Mindset

Mindset plays a huge role in mastering the conquering of over-consumption. Just like anything worthwhile, this will take a bit of time to master.

When you are shopping, begin by asking yourself if you have another item that will serve the purpose. If you have multiple substitutes, make sure to use them up or wear them with love before you get something new to avoid waste. However, if the item truly is unique, and you cannot seem to let it go, there is nothing wrong with treating yourself in moderation!

Buying for others

One way I have gotten myself to stop spending so much money is by limiting myself to buying necessities and small gifts for others on special occasions. Feeling the joy of giving someone something small that is budgeted out will give you a sense of happiness. There is nothing better than seeing someone else happy. You can also make something for someone. This is even more thoughtful, and most of the time it is more cost effective.

Incentives

I don’t know about you, but gifts with purchases intrigue me. I get so excited to see the little mini versions of makeup, or the discount I will get on future purchases if I make a purchase of a specific amount. Sometimes the anticipation of getting something for free will cloud our minds and make us think it is worth spending a specific amount of money. Most times, these thresholds are insanely high.

However, discounts and gifts with purchases can be a great thing to utilize. There is nothing wrong with utilizing them if you are stocking up on a necessity or have wanted something for a very long time. Just make sure to time it right and track when your favorite brands hold offers so that you can get the best deals!

Conclusion

Anything good takes time, and mastering this technique is a great thing to learn as we become more and more responsible for our finances. We will have families and homes soon. Make sure you are building those useful budgeting skills. However, learn a happy balance. Once again, there is nothing wrong with treating yourself here and there. I mean, what is the reason for working so hard if you can’t buy something great for yourself now and again?

Gracie Firgau is on the writing team at the Her Campus at The University of Virginia chapter. Beyond Her Campus, Gracie studies Pre-Commerce and German at the Univerity of Virginia. She is a second year interested in Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Information Technology. Gracie has also done research on topics such as Video Game Preference and Sensorimotor Skill Maturity Compared to Age and Ultraviolet Radiation’s Effect on Drying Duration of Automotive Paints with Resin Filming Agents. She has interned for the Nau Center at UVA on the Letters Home Project, worked with her professor in the History Department on transcriptions of documents from the 1800s, and interned for Galax City Public Schools in Information Technology. In her free time, Gracie enjoys weightlifting, cooking and baking new recipes, and experimenting with new fashion and beauty. She is also involved in Chi Alpha at the University of Virginia and is always searching for new areas to explore her passions while also building new relationships.