How to Get Over Someone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Whether you just got out of a relationship, or he’s just not that into you, getting over someone can be difficult. Thankfully with Valentine’s Day out of the way and summer just around the corner, there is no better time to be single, or what I like to call ‘single season’. With sunny weather for darties (day parties), now is the perfect time to get back out there and mingle in your sundresses and bikinis. Here are a few tips for getting over someone and making the most of your single season.

Remove all contact
Nothing good happens after 2am, and nothing says ‘desperate’ more than late night phone calls, texts, Facebook messages, and other forms of technological communication telling the person how much you miss them. If you have to, delete his number. If you have his number memorized, warn your friends and make sure that they don’t let you do anything you’ll regret. Warning: This may lead to your phone being taken away from you by force (I speak from experience).

Exercise
Don’t be like Elle Woods and lie in your bed all day eating and throwing chocolate at the TV screen. Although it may seem like a good idea at the time, five pounds later you’re going to really regret all of those hours lying motionless under your covers. Instead, spend a little more time at the gym and work on that ideal body you’ve been pinning on Pinterest for the past two months. “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy.” Who cares about one guy when you have six new abs?

Dress to impress
As much as it’s the inside that counts, when you look good, you feel good. After Reese Witherspoon’s 7-year marriage to Ryane Phillippe ended in ’06, did she sit around and feel sorry for herself? No, she showed up to the Golden Globe Awards in ’07 looking fierce in the now-iconic knee length look-at-me yellow strapless Nina Ricci dress, proving to the world that she didn’t need a man. She was single, and hotter than ever.

Mingle
Beautiful, warm weather means lots of social events during the day (and night). Finally, you get to trade in the five layers of clothing for cute dresses that don’t make you look like a marshmallow. Darties are the perfect place to be “single and ready to mingle,” because they’re generally outside in the daylight and not in some sketchy dark frat house where you can’t see who you’re talking to.

Don’t rebound
Despite what everyone says, finding a rebound guy is not the way to go. It will end up causing more stress than it’s worth, with potential problems such as one-sided emotional attachment. It’s good to put yourself out there and start talking to guys again, but if you rebound, someone is likely to get hurt.

Time
Remember that time heals all, so don’t try to rush the recovery process by getting back into the game too quickly. Have fun and embrace being single for awhile – you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. Have a girls’ night out, flirt with random guys at bars, openly talk about how much you love Ryan Gosling, and shamelessly show off your hot beach body. Enjoy single season to its fullest, because sooner or later you won’t be single anymore.

Sara Neel is a second year studying architecture at the University of Virginia. She is a Contributing Writer and a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus. Apart from Her Campus, she is a writer and layout designer for her school's fashion magazine, V Magazine at UVa, and an Ambassador for Stylitics.com. When she's not busy writing or doing work, you can probably find her shopping, reading, playing tennis, or at Starbucks.