This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.
Year: 4th
Major: Leadership and Public Policy
Hometown: Murrieta, CA

Get to know this week’s Campus Celebrity, Heidi Velk! This California girl has made UVA her home for the last four years and is about to graduate, but before she goes learn more about what she is involved in and her fun plans for the summer. Learn about all of this and more in this week’s edition of Campus Celebrity.

What are you involved in around grounds?
I have been on the Varsity Softball team for all four years and currently serve as one of the team leaders. I am Vice President of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, which is responsible for representing all athletic teams and working as a liaison between the NCAA and the Athletic Department. I co-direct a student-athlete-run career workshop where my partner and I develop and organize six different career workshops for student-athletes to participate in throughout the year. I was a member of the Student-Athlete Committee on Honor and also participated in the Athletes Committed to Educated Students (ACE) Mentor Program. I volunteered with the LSA Community Outreach program for a year.

Why are you involved with this/these organization(s)? How do they add to your experience at UVA?
I really enjoy serving others and any time there is an opportunity to do so, I like to take it. I believe that I was given leadership skills to use for this very reason. Student-athletes are often stigmatized and my goal is to disprove the “dumb jock” stereotype by stepping outside the athletic community and reaching out in ways I never thought possible. Being able to serve others and be a part of outstanding programs and committees has enabled me to open my eyes to all of the opportunities given to us at the University of Virginia. 

What is your favorite thing to do during your free time?
I really love being outside during my free time. When I’m at school, I’ll either go for a run or sit outside and read if the weather is nice. 

What are you most looking forward to this Summer Break?
I am driving back to California after graduation and making a fun road trip out of it. I’m excited to see places like Nashville and the Grand Canyon. 

Something people don’t know about you?
I was in musical theatre when I was younger and secretly wish I never gave it up. 

Rapid Fire Questions
Favorite show? Modern Family
Celebrity crush? Ryan Gosling
Scott Stadium or JPJ? Scott Stadium
Favorite color? Purple 
Hidden talent? Impersonations/Accents 
Favorite movie? Titanic 
Dream vacations spot? Germany 

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!