Healthy Heart Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Love is in the air! Whether you had a Valentine or not, February is heart appreciation month. The American Heart Association seeks to raise awareness about heart disease and prevention, as it is the leading cause of death for women in the United States. You can initiate a more wholesome lifestyle and prevent heart disease by simply leading a healthier life through diet and exercise.   

Increasing Physical Activity:

Getting a daily dosage of physical activity can improve your health and lengthen your life. Doctors recommend getting about an hour of physical activity, five days a week.  Simply walking to class can boost your heart rate and contribute to a healthier heart. Next time you have the option of driving or taking the bus vs. walking, choose to walk. Walking to class on any given school day has its benefits. Distances can add up and if you choose to walk to class it is likely that you walk over a mile a day. Also, if you are going to the gym, boost your workout by running there. For instance, if you live by the corner, the AFC is over a mile each way. This adds over two miles to your workout! Additionally, Charlottesville has many great running opportunities for those looking to expand their paths beyond university grounds.  Recommended trails in the community include the Saunders Trail to Monticello, the Camp Holiday Trails, and the Rivanna Trails. Do not ruin your workout by eating poorly- rather, supplement your workout with foods rich in fiber, vitamins, antioxidants, and healthy fats.

Eating for a Healthy Heart:

Breakfast, lunch, or dinner heart healthy food can be included into your daily diet. Start your day with a warm bowl of oatmeal and a fresh cup of berries. To further enrich your bowl of oatmeal, sprinkle some flaxseed on top of it. All berries, from strawberries to blueberries, are full of anti-inflammatories, which reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer.

Incorporate a handful of nuts and an avocado into your salads. Avocados and nuts, particularly walnuts and almonds, are great sources of healthy fats.

A great dinner dish consists of salmon topped with a bean salsa. Black beans and kidney beans are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, and soluble fiber. Salmon is full of antioxidants, iron, and healthy fats that help to reduce your blood pressure.

To top it off, for dessert, try dark chocolate and a cup of tea. As they say “a truffle a day lowers blood pressure.” But, make sure to choose chocolate that has a 70% or higher cocoa content. Tea, through it’s herbal and healing essence, supports a healthy diet.

Tea comes in a variety of flavors; most studies show that black and green teas are the heart-health leaders. Try pairing your chocolate with a chai tea.  

Next time you are at Chipotle, remember to add black beans and guacamole to your burrito. Hearts are for life and we need to keep them healthy. Why not eat right, in moderation of course, and stay active to give your heart the extra loving it deserves?

2nd Year student at the University of Virginia from Vienna, Va.  Double majoring in Economics and Media Studies. Interested in business, sports, fashion, traveling and art.