This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The guys are back and more real than ever. This week our anonymous fellows answered questions on the hookup culture at UVA in which many wonder. From DFMO’s (dance floor make outs) to taking someone home, these guys give us the in on how they “get it in,” (As Jeffery Amherst puts it). Enjoy all!

Our Selected Interviewees*
Frederick Hayek
William H. Seward
Jeffery Amherst

* These names are not real and have been changed to keep the interviewees completely anonymous

1) There is a definite hookup culture at UVA, why do you think that is?

JA:The goal that almost everyone makes before they go out is to make sure they don’t come back alone. People like hooking up.
WS:Anywhere you have booze, thousands of college kids and little to no authority constantly hovering over you telling you what to do there will be people hooking up.  This is true for all colleges, not just UVA.
FH:It’s fast, easy and fun – especially on the dark, often-anonymous dance floors of frat parties. This differs from a school like JMU with many more apartment parties, resulting in a much higher percentage of people you know than by ones you don’t know. 

2) In the hookup scene at the university do you think both guys and girls play into the game, or do you think there is a definite leader (or rule maker)?

WS:Usually ladies are able to take the “lead” role in determining when to hookup.  Although there is the scenario if you are an older guy hooking up with a younger girl (usually 1st year), then I’d say that the power is more in the hands of the dude because he is “cooler” by being older and the girl wants to impress him more.

FH:Girls are obviously the rule maker, most guys most nights are going out to “slay”. With such obvious intentions and goals it’s easy for girls to make the rules to benefit their secret agenda. Guys weapon against any girl seeking too much power is their indifference towards any particular girl (most of the time).

3) Should a girl be led on by you if you hook up, or does it typically not mean anything

JA:It really doesn’t mean that much.  It either means that I thought that girl was a dime, or that I was very drunk and was just trying to get it in.  If it happens more than once or twice and we are still talking than there’s a good chance it could mean something.

WS:It depends what kind of hook up.  The next morning (if the individual so happens to be in your bed still) if there is some conversation and maybe an offer to drive them home then there might be room for round 2 or more.  This isn’t always going to lead to a relationship; it could just lead to another hook up session.  

FH:Depends on what happens post hook up. If you spoon for the rest of the night could be he interested in more. Breakfast the morning after would be another clue (fat chicks beware this could be the guy completing a bet or dare, if he orders your meal and it includes bacon I wouldn’t count on a repeat).

4) In your first interview you were asked how you would approach a girl, but on the flip side, how would you want a girl to approach you?

JA:It doesn’t really matter as long as they are coming to me. 

WS:Well it would be nice if a girl told me she was into me before we got into a conversation.  This just isn’t practical, so on another note it would be nice if the girl had something in mind that she may want to talk about, just something interesting or a comment on the surrounding that can be easily responded to so we can transition in conversation.

5) In relation to the above question, do you prefer a girl to make the first move?

JA:I love it when the girl makes the move. It means I literally have to do nothing to get what I want.

WS:Doesn’t matter.  If a girl makes a first move then clearly she is into you and that makes every conversation following this “move” much lighter and easier.

FH:If its subtle, very awkward to have to reject a girl who made too open of a move.

6) Do guys like it when a girl plays hard to get? Or would they rather the girl be more bold? 

JA:I’m a busy man.  Don’t make me put in an absurd amount of hours just to make yourself feel good.  I’m not saying you should just come up to me and immediately spread your legs, I’m not recommending that either.  The challenge can be fun, but it quickly gets old.

WS: Definitely like a challenge because otherwise there is no fun in getting your prize.  Although if you play hard to get and there will never be anything to be gotten – you’re wasting both your time and the dude’s time.

FH: Daytime hard to get, nighttime bold.