lora ohanessian 16rIhtV42yA unsplash
lora ohanessian 16rIhtV42yA unsplash
Culture > News

Good News From This Month That You Need To Hear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

2020 has been a tough year for everybody. With COVID-19 and other events that have impacted our lives, it’s easy to forget that there are still good things happening everywhere around us. So here’s a break from the negatives of 2020: these are positive events from this month that will help you remember that there is still some good in the world.

New Zealand Prime Minister Promises 100% Renewable Energy by 2030

The environment has been a major concern for people around the world. Many are looking for ways to improve our environment and make decisions that will help bring us to a world where we no longer have to worry about pollution. New Zealand has made a decision that will help achieve this goal. Promising renewable energy is a great step in the right direction and it will be a huge improvement to the environment, especially to the environment in New Zealand. Their plan also promises many new jobs, so this promise will help improve lives as well.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/new-zealand-pm-promises-100-renewable-energy-2030/

Billionaire Finishes Dream of Giving Away 8 Billion Dollar Fortune

This month, billionaire Charles Feeney finished donating his 8 billion dollar fortune to help people around the world. He put his fortune into education, human rights/social change campaigns, ending the death penalty, affordable healthcare, and creating a technology campus in New York City. This story is especially heartwarming, since it is very rare to see a person willing to give up all of their money to help the world and improve the lives of many.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/billionaire-charles-feeney-finishes-four-decade-long-dream-of-giving-away-dollar8-billion-fortune/ar-BB196SlD

4-Year-Old Cancer Patient Sparks Donations to Families Affected by Childhood Cancer

After a woman at a grocery store bought a 4-year-old cancer patient a balloon she wanted, the four year old’s mother posted about the act of kindness on Facebook in order to thank the woman. Then the 4-year-old, Catherine, began receiving other donations. Then her mother advised that these donations should go to other families who are being affected by childhood cancer. Money has already been raised and has gone to other families that have children with cancer. This story shows how one small act of kindness can turn into many more acts of kindness.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/4-year-old-cancer-patient-helps-launch-pay-it-forward-initiative/ar-BB194L1v

Two Sisters Start a Nonprofit to Make Volunteering Easier for Others

Sisters Shreyaa and Esha Venkat started a nonprofit called NEST4US, which helps provide volunteer services for those who want to help their community, no matter what age they are. NEST4US has helped feed the homeless, tutoring kids, and helping those affected by natural disasters. Giving back to the world has always been important to Shreyaa and Esha, which is what inspired them to establish NEST4US. These sisters have shown us that no matter who you are, you can still take action and make a change in your community. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleandplaces/sisters-start-nonprofit-to-match-volunteers-to-opportunities/vi-BB19qoPe

Walmart Announces Goal to Reach a Net Zero by 2040

Walmart recently announced a new plan to reach a net zero by changing some ways in which they operate. Walmart plans to power all of their facilities using renewable energy, electrifying their vehicles, and protect/restore land and ocean around the world. Walmart decided to make this change after it was found that the actions of their brand had a negative impact on the environment. Like New Zealand, Walmart’s goal will help the world change into a place where we will no longer have to worry about pollution and its effects on the environment.

EGEB: Walmart announces net zero by 2040 — without offsets

Hi! I'm Christina, I am a 2nd year and I am planning on studying biology or commerce (still figuring things out). In my free time, I enjoy working out, volunteering, photography, and baking.
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!