Good Holiday Gift Ideas For Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Being the generous, thoughtful person you are, don’t you hate it when you ask someone what she wants for the holidays and she says, “Oh, I don’t need anything.” Okay. Maybe that’s true. However, it probably won’t fly if you take that advice literally and don’t get your mother a Christmas present. Now take a step back. Has it ever crossed your mind that you may be that exact hard-to-buy-for-person to your family and friends? Uh-oh. Here are five guidelines to coming up with good answers to “So, what do you want for Christmas.” You’ll never be that girl again.

1.     Have ideas for multiple price ranges

Your twelve-year old brother may not have the money for that Anthropologie dress you’ve been eyeing. So don’t suggest it. Categorizing your list by price can help you make realistic suggestions when someone asks you what you want for a gift. Going back to your brother, maybe he can’t get the dress, but he might be able to swing one of their headbands or room knick-knacks. Having wishes on your wish list that span all price ranges make it easier to personalize the suggestions you give people when they ask.

2.     Make a list of stores you like for the gift card-ers

Remember how you stopped shopping at Limited Too (oops, I mean Justice) when you were ten? You may have relatives that don’t know that. Even just subtly mentioning how much you like to shop at certain stores can make a big difference come the holiday season.

3.     Think of upcoming events

Sorority formal? New Year’s party? Sports banquet? Think about asking for a clutch, dress, or piece of jewelry for one of those events. That way, you won’t have to sneak into your best friend’s closet the night of because you have nothing to wear.

4.     Upgrade

You probably buy your everyday necessities – mascara, lotion, shampoo – on a budget. If you’re stuck thinking of gift ideas, just take one of those necessities and ask for the upgrade. If you usually wear Revlon makeup, ask for Bobbi Brown. I get my hair products from CVS, but if someone gave me salon brand conditioner, I wouldn’t fight it.

5.     Be extravagant

If I had a dollar for all the times I passed up purchases because “I didn’t need it,” I’d be buying myself a Lexus for Christmas. Sure, you can be responsible with your spending, but when it comes to gifts, don’t be afraid of the frivolous. Ask for that totally unnecessary, but incredibly comfortable, pair of slippers you tried on at Brookstone, or that gourmet coffee you always see at Starbucks but don’t actually buy because Folgers is so much cheaper. Those little things in life, man. They make a difference.