Five Signs You’ve Found a Friend for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

There are so many people that you’ll meet in life.  Some good, some bad, some in between. With so many people that are thrown in your every day life, how do you filter through the ones that you’ll keep around from day 1 to day 304578930423870?

I’ve had amazing friendships (that heavily contrast with the bad ones I’ve had) and they’ve made me realize what I want out of a person I call a best friend. These five things are usually what I look for when I see whether a person is someone I can rely on or not.

1. Advice

I think it’s so great to surround yourself with extremely supportive friends, but sometimes friends are a liiiiiiitttle too supportive. I think the people that differentiate between a friend and a best friend are the ones that will call you out on your B.S. (in the nicest way possible of course). Like: “No babes, maybe calling back the guy that has stood you up five times in a row is not a sign that he’s “playing hard to get”…

That kind of stuff is super hard to hear, but it’s important to have friends that will support you when things are going well but also be realistic when you need them to be.

2. Connection

The conversation behind a friendship is so important. I think the fact that you can go from talking about nothing to having the most intimate of conversations is a friendship that means a lot more than just the four years of college.

With some girlfriends you talk about boys, others you talk about the classes you’re taking. A true best friend is someone that will talk about boys, classes and find a way to mix in the meaning of life in there as well. That connection makes a friendship go from 0 to a 100 real quick.

3. No Judgment

I think the most important thing to have in a friend is the fact that they don’t judge. No matter what stupid actions you’ll end up doing, and trust me you’ll do them, you’re human- they shouldn’t ever judge you. They’ll not only be there for you at the lowest but at the highest of points as well.

4. Eagle versus Pigeon

Along those lines, surround yourself with “Eagles” and not “Pigeons”. People that lift you up and don’t drain you. Friendships and being there for people can really take a toll on you. It’s important to be there for people that you know would be right back there for you. Ask yourself: “Would they do this for me?”

5. The Big Test

I know a friendship has reached a new level when I’ve had a long weekend, have been all social-ed out and yet I still want to spend time around that person. To want to have them be in your “me time” means a lot. Having a friendship like that doesn’t come around often, so make sure you treasure it and really take care of it.

Not everyone will be your best friend and that’s okay! Just know when to spot that person that you can count on whenever, wherever and make sure to truly appreciate them.

Thumbnail image courtesy of Seth Doyle

Smile, it makes you live longer!