Five Reasons to Watch Jordan Peele’s Us Right Now!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Recently, I had the pleasure of watching Jordan Peele’s ~spooky~ film, Us, and I left the movie theater in complete awe and spiraling confusion. The film deals with a number of themes, including privilege and social mobility, however, Peele approaches these themes in a dark, unique, and ambiguous way. I definitely recommend this film to anyone and everyone looking for a little ~thrill~ in their life. Here are my top five reasons why you should watch Us ASAP:

1. Cinematically-speaking, it is BEAUTIFUL

Jordan Peele’s cinematography is so incredibly detailed and breathtaking. The angles, sets, costume design, color palette, and blocking are so meticulously planned that it’s hard not to appreciate Peele’s work. Peele has certainly developed an eerie aesthetic with unique cinematic tendencies, and it’s evident throughout his films!​

2. Hands-down, it’s one of the best thrillers I’ve ever watched

As a horror/thriller film advocate, I have seen my fair share of the genre. Most are cheesy or revolve around a mediocre plot. Us, however, is exceptionally written, produced, directed, and edited. There remains a certain amount of intentional ambiguity, leaving the audience to interpret the narrative, which I love. I was engrossed throughout the entire film, and was literally on the edge of my seat!

3. The sheer number of easter eggs in the film is insane

Peele meticulously planned every aspect of the film. From set pieces connecting to the narrative to costume design to sly 80s horror film references, Peele incorporated so many easter eggs throughout the film, almost creating a game for the audience. I love that you can watch this film multiple times, and discover something new each time!

4. Conspiracies… so many conspiracies    

The instant my friends and I left the theater, all three of us whipped out our phones, searching for all of the conspiracies regarding the film’s ending. We even made a group chat to send Us related conspiracy theories in for the next few days. It was intense, to say the least!

5. The ending is everything

Don’t worry, I’m not going to spoil anything—but that ending had me shook!

If you’re a fan of thrillers, please, please watch Jordan Peele’s Us. Trust me, you will not be disappointed!  

[All pictures courtesy of Claudette Barius/Universal Studios]

Hello! I'm Dahlia Hamandi, and I'm a fourth year media studies major at the University of Virginia. Some of my hobbies and passions include fashion, photography, cinematography, and watching an excessive amount of YouTube!