This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

In the almost three months since Donald Trump was elected President, countless women have spoken up and become politically active in order to fight back and make sure their voices have been heard. These women are among the many, and they are women who we can look to for guidance and inspiration when feeling lost and confused in the wake of the changes going on in our country. These women show us that young women who want to get politically active can do so in many different ways and can do it on their terms.

1. Elaine Welteroth – As the editor of Teen Vogue, she is cultivating a magazine with headlines such as “Donald Trump is Gaslighting America,” and “People Are Now Deleting Uber for Capitalizing on Anti-Trump Protests.” She is giving young women a news source they can trust and encourage her colleagues to report honestly. More importantly, Welteroth and her colleagues at Teen Vogue are telling young women that being politically engaged and enjoying being a young woman are not mutually exclusive.

2. Rowan Blanchard – This Disney star may be younger than the average Her Campus reader, but that does not mean she is not a role model. The fifteen year old has spoken out on a number of issues including sexuality and what it means to be a young woman in the modern era. She has become even more engaged as an activist since Trump’s election, and attended and spoke at the Women’s March in Los Angeles.

3. Chrissy Teigen – This mom, model, and host of Lip Sync Battle is always unapologetically herself – which you probably know if you follow her on Twitter. She takes Internet trolls to task almost on a daily basis, including such bigots as Piers Morgan. She has consistently spoken out against Trump and even decided at the last minute to attend the Women’s March in Washington DC rather than accompany her husband, John Legend, to the Sundance Film Festival.

4. The Organizers of the Women’s March on Washington – The Women’s March on Washington, which spread to cities all of the country and to countries all over the world (even Antarctica!) was organized by Tamika Mallory, Carmen Perez, Bob Bland and Linda Sarsour. These female activists represent a wide spectrum of diversity of American women and led an even wider spectrum in one of the largest protests in history against Trump and the threat he poses to women’s rights. Their passion inspired millions of people around the world, and hopefully will continue to do so.

5. Michelle Obama – Although she has not made a public statement or appearance since Trump’s inauguration, former First Lady Michelle Obama left a lasting legacy of grace, kindness, and humanitarianism that will not be soon forgotten. Her final speech as First Lady, in which she urged young people to “be focused. Be determined. Be hopeful. Be empowered,” but not to be afraid, was one that resonated with people across the nation and especially young women, who have grown up with her as a figure to inspire them. She will no doubt continue to inspire all of us despite no longer being First Lady.  

First year intended English major in the College of Arts and Science
Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus UVA. Third Year at the University of Virginia. Economics Major.