This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

A tale of two second years that barely survived living together in first year Old Dorms, told through hashtags and satirical wit*.

*These events may or may not be based on true stories

#ihatemyroommate

Let’s face it. We were roommates last year and we were complete b*tches to each other, Morgan spoke French in her sleep and was basically just a weirdo 24/7. But despite this, we still ended up loving each other and currently live together in an apartment.  

Truth is, our love story is an anomaly. Most people end up hating their roommates or just existing in the same space plagued by indifference. It happens, but luckily there will be plenty of other awesome people to make bff’s with in your dorm, sitting next to you in your classes, and in the organizations you get involved in. And if all else fails, second semester sorority recruitment will help you make friends regardless of whether or not you actually pledge.

Some advice: Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself, especially during the first week of each new semester. Everyone is in the same boat. Just be a nice person, and the friends will come flocking.

#ohillnotsobrohill

O’hill, oh, O’hill, your vast dessert bar and ice milk machines warm our hearts, but the repercussions of your meals do not. Some of our fondest memories include getting yelled at by the bagel Nazi-lady and always being disappointed that they were out of granola (Which is arguably the best granola in the world. Wuddup, Nature Valley).

In the beginning of second year, we returned to O’hill to take a trip down memory lane and relive the predominantly first year’s dining hall’s array of “delicious” meals…We all basically got food poisoning. Bye, O’hill, see ya never. #ew

#littlejesus

One of the greatest things about UVA isn’t the beautiful architecture or the deep set traditions, but it is the plethora of late night drunchie (drunk munchie) spots on the Corner — namely, Little John’s, or as we like to rightfully call it, “Little Jesus.” For just a few bucks and often a hella long wait in line, you can consume copious amounts of sandwiches, chips, and cookies. While your drunk-self will love you at 2 am that Friday night, that food hangover is real.

First years don’t realize how lucky they are to have Crossroads and the Castle at their disposal for more wallet-friendly (Plus dollars aren’t real dollars, right?) late-night food runs. From killing pints of Ben and Jerry’s solo in one sitting to stocking up on massive bulks of bulk candy, these on-Grounds hotspots are the place to be post-party (First year pro tip: Get the meal plan with the most plus dollars).

#freshman50

It’s all fun and games until your jeans don’t fit (This was actually one of Morgan’s tweets from first year). We all know the struggle is real. Between the buffet at O’hill, Crossroads and Castle, the various establishments on the corner, and all of the alcohol you will consume, you will gain weight. But don’t fear, the freshman 15 or as we like to call it, the freshman 50, is a collegiate tradition. So have that second serving of ice milk, go eat dumplings at 2 am and don’t worry that your favorite pair of frayed jean shorts may be feeling a little snug in the morning!

First year pro-tip: Take advantage of the fact that the AFC is such a short walk from your dorm. Once you live off-grounds, you will not want to go to the gym ever. Another option is going on a run around Grounds, like every other UVA student seems to be doing at any given time of day (but actually people, chill out… it’s 10 pm on a Friday). 

#howmanybrothersdoyouknow? (A.k.a., a first year’s guide to frat parties)

It’s all about the ratios, ladies, a.k.a., don’t bring your dorm’s entire first floor of boys with you because you will get rejected by a drunk doorman on a power trip. However, if you roll up with your posse of girlfriends, you’re usually in the clear to climb over that nasty couch blocking the entrance and stumble your way into the frat for a night of watered-down punch, sweaty dancing, and some great memories…if you actually remember them. Just make sure you’re UVA 21 ;)

#it’sasmallworldafterall

During first year, it is inevitable that you will not go more than five seconds without seeing someone you know. It could be your friend, or it could be that awkward dance floor make-out that you were hoping to never see again. The fact is, despite having a class of about 3,500, you will run into everyone and their mother. First years are confined to a very small area consisting of O’hill, the dorms and Clark Library. While you will see all of your best friends on the reg, beware of your questionable choices – they will be in your chem discussion.

#butfirstlemmetakeaselfie

We all know you have that ugly side. Don’t even pretend you don’t. Fortunately, Snapchat is the place to get down with yo’ ugly self. And luckily, all of your friends will be sure to screenshot your hideousness and share it with the world. And when I say share it with the world, we mean your Facebook will be blowing up with notifications that you’ve been tagged in dozens of unflattering pictures and your face may even show up shoved down in front of the Stall Seat Journal on the back of the bathroom stall doors (Check out the third floor bathroom in Lefevre). 

#procrastinationnation

Growing up in this age of technology is hard. The inevitable fads of 2048, Flappy Bird and that Kim Kardashian game all come and go, but your procrastination habits never fade. Whether it’s social media that’s got you distracted or those stupidly addictive games, break the cycle. For the love of God, pay attention in class, do your reading and please don’t watch a whole season of Gossip Girl to avoid doing work (Cough, cough, Sarah).

#clubclem

Bring yo blanket, bring yo pillow, cause it’s gonna be an all-nighter up in hur. Clemons Library (Fondly known as Club Clem) is one of the most wonderful yet soul crushing places you will ever set foot in on Grounds. Don’t fear, when finals week approaches, Clem will be the most popping place to be. Free food, impromptu singing, and potentially even beer in the bathroom sinks. Could there be anything better? Don’t miss out on an opportunity to simultaneously realize how dumb you are while doing absolutely nothing!

#noragrets

Live it up because, as cliché as it sounds, this is only the beginning of the best four years of your life. First year is great because you are free to make those stupid mistakes that are socially unacceptable for upperclassmen, and don’t quite yet have the responsibility of figuring out what you’re going to do with the rest of your life when you get rejected from the Comm school (Just kidding, girl, you totally got this). You’ll learn, grow, and have more fun in this one year than you have in all your eighteen years, so live with no ragrets, not even one letter.    

Second year Psych major at UVA. Foodie and lover of life. 
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!