Fig: Food is Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

What exactly is the theme of this restaurant? My friend inquired this as a group of six of us finished up our meals. We all turned to each other a little confused: food? It turns out that this newly opened restaurant has an interesting combination of Mediterranean food with a New Orleans twist, which utilizes local and organic ingredients. Seem random? It is, but the outcome is fantastic.

I went for the first time for my friend’s 21st birthday party. A good location: on the corner, yet nicer than the typical No. 3 or Trinity. Prices are slightly higher, but still lower than many of the downtown mall counterparts. Entrees ranged from about $9-15. I ordered pesto lamb shanks, with potatoes and spinach. A delicious combination, that was also very visually appealing. Some of the other orders at my table included spanakopita (spinach and feta wrapped in filo dough), a lamb burger encased in a pretzel bun, and a carrot and arugula salad.

It being my friend’s 21st, of course we had to indulge in the ordering of obnoxiously girly and large cocktails. Centering on the $5 price range, they offer a variety of interesting, unique drinks. One called Louisiana Autumn included hot sauce, while another called the Ginny Martini was a twist on a classic. The chef ended up offering us a round of free drinks, which we took advantage of by ordering The Hurricane. Tall, pink and fruity, you can guess what that drink entailed.

The service was a little slow, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt because of their new status. In addition, we had a party of six, which resulted in a very confusing check separation business at the end—hopefully they’ll figure this one out since large groups are kind of the college norm.  

The interior is dimly lit, and cozy. New Orleans jazz played from the speakers, and exposed beams grace the ceiling. The flowers on the table were bordering on wilted, but the smells of garlic and pesto pervaded the room and the drinks were yummy. Check out their Facebook page here for upcoming specials and events: https://www.facebook.com/BalkanBistro

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!