The Fashionista’s Guide to EBay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

It is no understatement to say that I love eBay. I have snagged designer clothing and jewelry for a fraction of the price with the help of this fabulous web site. I know what you are thinking…EBay is SO intimidating! No worries ladies, with the help of this guide you will be a five star buyer in no time.

Getting set up
Making an eBay account is easy- just follow the steps and set up a PayPal account; using PayPal is the best way to make payments, and you can link a credit card, debit card, or your bank account (if you use online banking).

To Auction or Not to Auction
When it comes to buying on eBay, you have two options: you can either duke it out with other buyers in an auction or you can “Buy it Now” for a fixed price.

The Ins and Outs of the Site
The most important thing when it comes to eBay shopping is to READ THE ENTIRE DESCRIPTION!
Things to check for:

• Shipping costs
  • Return policy
  • Condition of product. Is it new with tags, new without tags, or used? Are there any flaws?
  • If you are buying clothes remember to check the measurements. For example, would a 31 inch dress be too short?
  • Look at the buyer reviews. Only buy from buyers that have a rating of 94-100% satisfaction.

What to Buy

CLOTHING
Stick to brands you know, that way, you already have a rough idea of what size you are. Search for one brand and clothing type at a time. The more specific your search is, the easier it will be to find exactly what you are looking for. For example, “Alice and Olivia Dress” or “Free people top” would be great places to start.
Brands to search for:

• Free People
  • Anthropologie
  • Alice and Olivia
  • Topshop
  • Lily Pulitzer

Or, instead of a brand, you can search for a clothing type that is very specific. For example, “White crochet top” or “Sequin dress.”

JEWELRY AND ACCESSORIES
The same guidelines for clothes generally apply to buying jewelry and accessories as well. Stick to a brand you know to ensure a well-made product.
What to search for:

• J Crew Jewelry
  • Ray Ban sunglasses
  • Tory Burch accessories
  • Jeffrey Campbell shoes
  • Frye Boots
  • Michael Kors watches
  • Antique fine jewelry

I hope this guide will help you in all your future eBay endeavors! Keep calm and eBay on.

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.