Falling for Color—Hues to Choose this Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Although orange and blue will always reign supreme around grounds at UVa, it’s a new season, and that means a fresh color palate is in order. This year’s fall colors are pulled from two categories: neutrals and brights. While these tones certainly have the power to stand on their own, this season, designers are pairing these polar opposites to create incredibly artful duos. The marriageof the two color blocks create a romantic feel for fall and well ladies, like any other relationship, this season is all about balance.

THE NEUTRALS

Brown is the new black

Black is taking a back seat this season as the go-to staple color. Try swapping in coffees and cocoa inspired tones to flaunt the warmer and more decadent feel of the season.

Lights and whites
The skin tone craze is not yet over! This season aim for fuller colors like camels, taupes and champagnes to balance out your brights. Also, don’t tuck away those whites just yet. Add in a splash of creamy tones to lighten up an outfit.

Earthy feel
Earthy blues and greens play both sides of the fence this fall. They’re the middlemen that tie together the two ends of the spectrum. Caution: stay away from military greens and navy blues. Although we like men in uniform, these colors are too stern for this fall’s feel.

[pagebreak]

THE BRIGHTS

Warm yellows

Pastel yellows of last spring failed to translate over to fall. Instead, search for more exotic versions; think intense sunsets and yellows with other undertones. This is the wow factor for fall and we can’t get enough of it.

Pinks
Play with pinks this season. Even though we’ve reached the summer’s end, pinks are as flirtatious as ever for fall. This season’s tones pair well with neutrals and brights alike.

Autumnal
Autumn rustic tones are reinvented this season with a peachy twist. While this tone marries well with the coffee neutrals for something more classic, pair with another bright color for a modern edge.

Plums

Purples are fall’s version of the romance mystery novel. While they can stand on their own this season, their versatility allows them to pair well with the other palate colors. Stick to bold hues on the deeper side for a more magical mystery rather than a King Arthur feel. 

Real fashion is all about breaking the rules.  “No white after Labor Day” and “brights are for summer” are old-fashioned sayings for a reason.  So this season, we dare you. Pair your camels and whites with pinks and plums and you just might have the whole class falling for you.

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.