Elizabeth Girvan ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Elizabeth Girvan

Year: 2nd

Major: English

Why did you decide to transfer to UVA for your second year of college?

There’s just something about UVA, honestly. It fit. I’m two hours away from home, which is perfect. They have an incredible English program. It’s an incredible school with a big heart.

What has been your favorite class so far?

I took a really great Liberal Arts seminar last semester about how to use your Liberal Arts degree in the working world. The class was really empowering for me. I think that there’s this ugly misconception that certain degrees are useless, and this class eliminates that myth. It made me feel proud to be pursuing a major that teaches me to communicate beautifully and think critically.

What are you involved in at UVA?

I’m a Kappa Delta, and I fall more in love with that all the time. Outside of Greek life, my favorite thing that I’m a part of is Dance Marathon. Dance Marathon is a non-profit organization at UVA that works year-round to fundraise for the UVA Children’s Hospital through Children’s Miracle Network. In the spring, the actual “Marathon” takes place, which is essentially an extended celebration of the money raised for CMN. The work I do with this organization is fulfilling and purposeful, which makes it both a thrill and an honor to be involved with it.

What is your favorite thing about the winter season?

I love, love, love winter! I like being able to wear sweaters, cords, and boots all the time. I’m a big fan of the holiday season–any excuse to be cozy and spend more time with my family.

How do you manage to look cute in this cold weather?

It’s really a matter of being as lazy and comfortable as possible without walking out the door in literal pajamas. You can never go wrong with leggings and a sweater. I have a couple J. Crew sweaters that were my Mom’s in the 90’s, and I keep those on rotation.

Describe your personal sense of style in one word.

Classic.

Speed Round!

Snowman or snowball fight?

Snowball fight!

Skiing or snowboarding?

Skiing!

Frozen’s Elsa or Anna?

Anna!

Ice skating or sledding?

Ice skating!

Bean boots or Uggs?

Both!

Mittens or gloves?

Gloves!