This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

By now, you’ve probably heard of Disney’s new streaming service, Disney+. The service dropped on November 12th with all of Disney’s owned movies and TV shows, including some originals that can only be viewed there. The service has a cost of either $7 per month or $70 per year as well as a bundle option that includes Hulu and ESPN+ for $13 a month. Basically, almost everything that Disney owns is on this platform.

Photo via Sebastian Segura 

If you don’t know what exactly the mouse has in his position, allow me to break it down to you. Obviously, all Disney animated classics are included with this service, from as far back as “Snow White” and all the way up to “Moana”. On top of that, you also have all Disney live action movies, and I’m not just talking about the reboots that have been coming out recently. Movies like “Remember the Titans”, “Mary Poppins”, “The Parent Trap” from 1961 and 1998, “Tron”, and “Treasure Island” which was the first live action movie to ever be made by Disney in 1950. But that’s only stuff Disney has directly made through The Walt Disney Studios, the platform offers plenty more than that.  

Disney also happens to own Marvel Entertainment and Lucasfilms; the former produces the popular Marvel Cinematic Universe along with any spinoff TV shows while the latter produces movies and TV shows like Star Wars and Indiana Jones. While their standout names like the “Avengers” and “Star Wars” are available, they also have a lot of lesser known TV shows available. You know that Spiderman meme where Spiderman is pointing at another version of himself? Yeah, that show is on Disney+. Another company owned by Disney is National Geographic, which has stories about literally anything from a show called “How Dogs Got Their Shape” to “The World According to Jeff Goldbloom”. Exploring space, examining the several mysteries of early man, and studying the animals of the wild are all topics that National Geographic explore. 

Photo via Sebastian Segura 

So yeah, Disney+ seems pretty nice. It’s one of the cheaper streaming services and if you have Verizon, you can get a whole year of Disney+ for free. It’s also worth mentioning that the original Disney series, and my personal favorite “The Mandalorian”, is incredibly impressive; I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Star Wars, westerns, outlaws, or just a fun show.  But I’d like to give you something to keep in mind before you go sign up for Disney+. Consider this: you may currently be paying for Netflix, Spotify, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, or any other streaming or monthly based subscription service. Perhaps you may be using someone else’s account or perhaps you share your subscription with someone else. My point is to be mindful of buying this streaming service, because cable has pretty much been resurrected when Netflix came out with its streaming service. The cost of these services can stack up, even if you’re using the student discount plans. If you feel that maybe you can’t afford it right now, wait on it, or find someone who does have it and is willing to share their account info with you. There’s a lot of great things on Disney+, and it would be a shame for you not to be able to view it. However, it’s not the only place where you can view Disney related content. Netflix still has a fair amount of Disney material such as “Coco”, “The Princess and the Frog”, “Thor: Ragnarok”, and “Avengers: Infinity War” just to name a few. So Disney+ is certainly not the only place where you can find Disney owned items, as there are pre-existing alternatives. Either way, if you’re a huge Disney fan, this may be the service for you. 

Sebastian Segura is a writer for HCUVA and has a strange unnatural obsession with movies and TV shows and that's all he really seems to want to talk about. He is a first year at UVA and is in the College of Arts and Science.
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!