burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Coolest Shows of NYFW Spring 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Prabal Gurung

Prabal Gurung’s show truly exemplified the meaning of fashion. Fashion is more than fancy dresses and high heels. It has the power to ignite societal changes, encourage confidence, and improve the lives and happiness of people throughout the world.

Last year, on April 25, a 7.9 magnitude earthquake struck Nepal. The Kathmandu-raised Prabal Gurung began raising money for the cause immediately.  After raising about a million dollars for the earthquake’s victims, he began his recent Spring 2016 ready-to-wear show with a thank you message: 30 monks, dressed in their traditional red and yellow robes, chanting a prayer of gratitude for the fashion community’s help. The rest of the show served as an equally beautiful tribute to his homeland of Nepal, with rich shades of yellow, saffron, peach, and tea rose.

Betsey Johnson

The Betsey Johnson show is always a spectacular celebration of color and fun. This year, the show marked 50 years in the business for Johnson.  To celebrate this achievement, the designer created a fantastic show inspired by the dance themes of the five decades she has been in the industry.  The first looks were set in the present while the final looks were inspired by Johnson’s childhood dance costumes of the ‘50s.

Notably, the absolute best parts of the show: Like she does at all of her shows, Johnson performed her signature cartwheel-landing-into-a-split move (even at age 73!). Additionally, Johnson dedicated the show to her 94-year-old childhood dance teacher, who was the special front-row-guest!

Carolina Herrera

Per usual, Carolina Herrera’s show was brilliant. It included innovative geometric cutouts, dreamy pale pink hues, and her signature loose, lady-like silhouettes.  Nevertheless, there was something very different about this show – the location.

Now that Lincoln Center is not longer hosting New York Fashion Week shows, Herrera made the decision to hold her Spring 2016 show at the historic Frick Collection museum on the Upper East Side (which was the first fashion show hosted there ever).  The runway was located in the museum’s historic garden, which was recently saved from plans of replacement. The blossoming backdrop served as the perfect compliment to Herrera’s designs. 

Tommy Hilfiger

If you follow Gigi Hadid on Instagram, then you are probably aware of the awesome lagoon-like runway she strutted down for the Tommy Hilfiger finale. Hilfiger created a true American beach atmosphere by building a wooden boardwalk surrounded by sand and a huge shallow pool of water. Seriously, could it get any cooler?

Givenchy

Lastly, the Givenchy show was a heartfelt reminder of American resilience and strength. The show was held on September 11 on a Hudson River pier that included a clear view of the newly constructed Freedom Tower from every seat.  To top it all off the show was set to occur after a magnificent sunset lit up the sky. 

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!