Confessions of a Perfume Rookie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

I have always had a fascination (okay, perhaps a borderline obsession) with beauty products. Granted, I am in no way skilled at applying makeup, nor do I always wear it. But I certainly have collected my fair share of beauty products over the years. I just love the feeling of a silky moisturizer or the sparkle of a dewy eye shadow. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that these products and the rituals that go with them often act as a method of self-care. And trust me when I tell you that I pretty much need all the self-care I can get during these colder months packed with far too many stressful exams.

Yet the one beauty product I’m admittedly a bit timid about is perfume. Don’t get me wrong, I love nothing more than an amazing signature scent. In fact, I love almost everything about perfumes – the elaborate glass bottles, the way they look grouped together on a glamorous countertop, and the memories a scent can evoke.

(photo courtesy of pinterest.com

I so badly want to find and wear my version of a signature scent. You know, the ones that linger only slightly in the air, and are only most deliciously fragrant when you lean in for a hug.

But I suppose my biggest fear when it comes to wearing perfume is somehow choosing the “wrong” one. What if it smells horrible to other people? What if I become nose-blind to the smell and start to spray too much on? Then again, why should I care what other people think? After all, I trust my own taste to be more than good enough.

(photo courtesy of aztecconstructionco.com)

In an attempt to skip the daunting perfume counters and the all-too-convincing salespeople, I took various online quizzes. Basically, I just wanted to start by getting an idea of the type of scent I would prefer. This little testing scenario I created for myself proved that scents truly are very personal, and sometimes even quite surprising.  I always thought I was more of a floral kind of girl, but as it turns out I should probably try spritzing some citrus notes (given that ¾ of the quizzes I took led me this conclusion).

So what’s the next step for me on this introductory perfume journey? Smelling some of these recommendations, of course! And who knows, perhaps I’ll soon have my own signature scent to be remembered by. 

(photo courtesy of thegoldengirlblog.com)