Clem 2: The Most Untimely Death Since Harambe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Gone, but never forgotten.

This year, UVA said hello to a lot of new things: Bronco Mendenhall, Poke Sushi Bowl, and a new advising center in Clemons Library. Right. Where. Clem. 2. Used. To. Be.

For those of you new to Grounds or new to Clem 2, Clem 2 was the ideal spot for group work and lulled chatter when you didn’t have too much to do. Also, it was the perfect spot for secret societies, such as the 21 Society, to drop off pizzas during finals week, which definitely made it a popular study spot for students from all over Grounds. As a first year, my friends and I would use Clem 2 and the study rooms that lined the walls to collaborate on group projects and make stressful studying a little more enjoyable by being surrounded by good friends.

Let’s face it: there will never be a perfect substitute to Clem 2. Few places can recreate the extremely comfortable chairs, the abounding sunlight, and the quiet serenity that provided for a focused work environment.

For all of you who still want to revel in the peace and tranquility that you found on the second floor of Clemons library, fear not. Through extensive research and experiential trials, I, and my team of bookworms, have identified places that offer similar study vibes for all of the worker bees out there.

Trin 3rd Floor

Complete with approximately three booths and two tables, the third floor of Trinity Irish Pub on the Corner is a great study space to crank out that statistics web work or write up that eight page English paper.  The best times to go are probably Thursday or Friday nights, but peak times can vary depending on various holidays. Similar to Clem 2, you will be able to revel in the ability to see everyone you “know” (or at least recognize from Facebook or your Macroeconomics discussion) while also being extremely productive. The ambience that the Trin 3rd Floor provides is destined to have you on a one-way trip to the Dean’s List this Fall!

Runk Dining Hall

Offering the same convenient location as Clem 2, Runk Dining Hall has already become a simple substitute for all that was lost in the renovation of Clem 2. While secret societies do not typically deliver food to Runk, you have no need to worry, because Runk has some of the best food on Grounds!

Scott Stadium during a home game

Missing the quiet chatter or extreme organization of Clem 2? Look no farther than Scott Stadium during a home game, where you will be able to study in an environment that is both relaxing, academically-focused, and has great wifi! One of the best days to study at Scott Stadium is Saturday, November 26, when Scott Stadium will be hosting one of the most anticipated games of the year: the Virginia Tech game.

The basement of your local fraternity house

There comes a time in every library’s life when it must confront the sad truth that many people have not and will not be checking out a book, and instead are simply traversing to the library to get work done in a clean environment. While the absence of Clem 2 will no doubt leave a large hole in our hearts, at UVA we luckily have 32 houses that open their doors to all of the local 4.0ers. Each of these houses has something special to offer; Whether it be piles of trash that serve as a metaphor for the mountains we need to climb to achieve true success, crisp and clean couches that provide plenty of room to spread out your things, or old cans and bottles that will be perfect to use in the visualizations you need to use to understand the parasympathetic system for your Psychology test, the basements of these fine establishments give you not only a great place to study, but also might provide you with an opportunity to talk to some of your favorite former Clem 2 regulars!

The Roots Line

First it was sitting on aerobic balls, then it was stand-up desks, now it’s doing away with desks all together! The Roots line provides a convenient, interactive, and physically engaging place to study all while also providing you with the ultimate study reward: a delicious dinner at the end of it. Not only is it a just quick walk from Grounds, it is also a lesser-known spot and you can rest assured that you will always be able to go through it quickly – perfect for that forty page biology reading you have to do before tomorrow!

The Rotunda during Rotunda Sing

Why wait for the final touches to be put on our favorite UNESCO World Heritage site? You should’ve grabbed a great seat a week ago, when Rotunda Sing literally ~rocked~ the lawn. The Rotunda during Rotunda Sing (or any other large lawn event: Trick-or-Treating on the Lawn, Lighting of the Lawn) is a great, secluded place to study, especially when you have an important exam the next day!

The room to the right when you enter Clark with the long tables

In all seriousness, Clark Library is home to a room that rivals the convenience of Clem 2 while simultaneously controlling the number of productive studiers with fewer seats. As you walk toward the front desk, veer to the right and you will find yourself in a glorious sunlit room that allows for collaboration and talking at a quiet level. Personally, I find it a bit more conducive to productive studying and a new plus: as of last semester, Clark’s open 24 hours!

Just your average UVA third year with a passion for dank brunches, niche Spotify playlists, and people who know the difference between "fewer" and "less."