The Classic Disney Halloween Movies You Can’t Miss This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Sure, horror movies are great and all, but sometimes I want a comforting Halloween movie that isn’t going to give me nightmares for three weeks after. When I want to feel cozy and spooky, not jumpy and terrified, Disney Channel Halloween movies deliver! Below are my favorites that you cannot skip this year.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

I’ll admit that this movie actually terrifies me, but it’s a classic! For some reason Jack Skellington is so charming and watching this movie outside of Halloween time just doesn’t hit the same. Also, the romantic in me can’t get over how beautiful Jack and Sally’s love story is.

Hocus Pocus

This is another Disney movie that genuinely scares me, but I love it. It brings back memories of watching it with my family before trick or treating and the Sanderson Sisters really make me glad I’m not technically a child anymore. The definition of an oldie-but-a-goodie, I never get tired of watching Sarah Jessica Parker terrorize little children.

Twitches

What’s better than a Halloween movie about witches? Twin witches! This movie has me wishing not only that I had a twin sister, but that we had magical powers and had to save our kingdom from the darkness. Tia and Tamera Mowry don’t miss a beat and the side romance between Karsh and Ileana is adorable!

Halloweentown: Kalabar’s Revenge

Don’t get me wrong, I love every Halloweentown movie that exists, but something about Kalabar’s Revenge elevates the franchise. It has not one, but two tragic love stories for Marnie and her mother, lizard people, Debbie Reynolds, and a happy ending. I don’t know what else I could ask for from a Halloween movie.

Katherine is a second year Foreign Affairs major. She loves animals, art, and coffee. Happy reading!
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!