A Case for Celebrating Christmas Early

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

I know what you are thinking. This girl is talking about Christmas and it’s not even a week after Halloween?! Sure, some might call me crazy to be so excited when it’s still practically two months away. I’m sorry to say it, but your ridicule will not stop me! This year, I have come armed with a counterattack against you Grinches.

No one needs to be told how magical Christmas is. The lights that twinkle just right, the steaming cups of peppermint hot cocoa, the merriment that seems almost tangible in the air. So why, I’d like to ask, would one hold off on enjoying something so magical? I’m sure the first thing most people will say is that it won’t be as special if you start celebrating all the way at the beginning of November. Well, as someone who is already getting excited and does so every year, it does stay special! Christmas, for me, doesn’t get old. What could get old about the spirit of giving, being kind to one another, and eating tons of food and desserts? The Christmas season is bursting with traditions to mark off the list, presents to buy, songs to listen to, it’s impossible to do it all! So why not start early? Once Christmas passes, you have a whole year to wait until it comes around again. 

hot cocoa and gingerbread cookies
Unsplash
If you’re like me, one of the hardest parts about quarantine has been the feeling that there is nothing to look forward to. Concerts, parties, any halfway fun event, all have been cancelled for months. Christmas, on the other hand, is like the light at the end of the tunnel this semester. I can hardly imagine how it will feel to not be loaded down with homework, and instead be loaded down with cozy blankets, Hallmark movies, and hot apple cider, but I cannot wait! I am beyond ready to put the trials of this semester behind me and don a pair of Old Navy Christmas printed pajama pants.

Christmas tree with people around it
Unsplash
Now, I’m not naïve. I know that this Christmas will not look like any other past Christmas, and that it will be extra hard this year on a number of people. People have suffered economic loss, loss of loved ones, and more. However, the Christmas season is about loving those around us, helping the needy, and being a good friend; things we could all use right about now. If we celebrate safely this year and get creative, I’m sure we will feel the Christmas magic with us, just as it always has been.

Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!