Brandon Moores ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Year: Fourth Year

Major: Commerce- Finance and Management
Hometown: Tarpon Springs, FL
Activities around Grounds: President of the Class of 2014 Trustees, Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity, and I’m on the Community Relations and Diversity Advisory Honor subcommittee

Why are you involved with these organizations? What motivates you / inspires you in these areas of your UVa experience?: 
I started getting involved with class councils at UVa my first year when I decided to run for vice president of the Class of 2014 the first month I arrived here.  I had never been involved with student government in high school and knew coming into college that it was something I was interested in doing.  I really enjoy impacting the entire Class’ experience by coordinating events that we will remember long after we walk the lawn for the last time at final exercises.  I have been lucky enough to lead an organization that has been in charge of Second Year Dinner Series, Class Ring Ceremony, the Class Giving Campaign, the Welcome Back Dinners, and even the upcoming valedictory exercises where Peyton Manning will be speaking to our class.  I find it really rewarding to work with an awesome group of people who help make lasting memories for the members of the Class of 2014.   

What has been the most rewarding moment / experience for you during your time at UVa?:  
The most rewarding experience for me during my time at UVa has been participating in my fraternity’s philanthropy for the past four years.  Our philanthropy is called Fiji Run Across Virginia and it raises money for the Jimmy V Foundation for cancer research.  Our chapter and the Virginia Tech Fiji chapter team up to run the game ball from Blacksburg to Charlottesville for the final football game of the year and this past year we raised nearly $50,000 between the two chapters.  It is rewarding because so many people are affected by cancer in one way or another and I am proud that we make a difference through our philanthropy.

Favorite class taken at UVA: The Private Equity Class with Professor Marston in the Comm School. 

Proudest moment at UVA: It has to be winning my election first year to become Vice President of the Class.  I didn’t know anyone when I came to UVa and I really couldn’t believe it when I saw that I had won.  I went out on a limb and it worked out for me.

Something people don’t know about you:  I play ice hockey (played club here for first and second year) and I love to scuba dive!

Best way to spend a Friday night in Charlottesville:  Hopefully by celebrating a win over Michigan State this Friday night!  But on a regular Friday, dinner at the Virginian with friends followed by Coupes or Boylan is a good way to spend a Friday night.