Blake Griggs ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Blake Griggs

Year: 2015

Hometown: Omaha, Nebraska

Major: Economics and Physics

Activities on grounds: VP of 2015.  

What motivates you to be involved at UVA? Why are you involved in the way that you are?

Initially I was motivated because none of my high school friends came here and I want to find a home to be apart of. Now, I stay involved because it allows me to bring together people from all different niches of UVA and seeing all those individuals collaborate and bond brings a special kind of joy to my heart.

How do you feel about being a student leader on grounds? 

I love it more than going to class.

What as been the most rewarding part of being involved at UVA? 

The most rewarding part is seeing what we do have an impact on students and our peers. From seeing a sticker on someone’s laptop, them wearing a shirt, or hearing that someone got a summer internship after attending an event is always the best part because it gives a meaning to what we do. It shows me that we can make a difference and that student self-governance isn’t dead yet. Wahoowa.

What advice would you give to your first-year self? 

You should have learned how to dance first semester. Also, drop Comm 1800.

Who is your favorite Campus Cutie?

Definitely Dylan Fogarty. He’s been one of my best friends at UVA and seeing him become Campus Cutie, yet stay humble was truly inspiring.

Favorite Class Taken at UVA: 

The Idea of Venice is hands-down my favorite class. It’s one credit, has nothing to do with my majors, and requires us to read at least a novel a week. But it’s a chance to hang out with former UVA prez John Casteen and the stories he tells of old UVA are wild. We need to bring back Easters. 

Something people don’t know about you: 

I have a twin brother.

And most importantly, favorite ice cream flavor?

I always go for vanilla, and maybe it’s boring but I love something traditional.

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!