Black Friday Hysteria: Tips for Beating the Madness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

One hundred and forty seven million. That’s the number of shoppers the National Retail Federation says are planning to participate in the Black Friday shopping weekend craze. Black Friday kicks off the season of holiday shopping with great deals on large gifts, traffic lines galore and bustling shoppers who prep wholeheartedly for their late night escapades. Black Friday has not only become a deal snatching, door busting day of savings, but it is even more valued as a holiday tradition.

I must admit, that ever since high school, I cannot remember a Black Friday that I’ve missed. And it is most definitely because like any other fashionista, I get a rush when scoring a great deal! However, regardless of the tingly feeling I get inside when snagging a pair of dashing Vince Camuto boots for a modest double-digit price (my most prized score from last year), fighting the crowd can take a toll on your sanity. To be a master at the Black Friday frenzy, one must have endurance, strength and strategic special force operations. As collegiate, we have the upper hand against the crowd because we’re young, quick and are used to the late night hours. Regardless, here are a few tips for how to come out on top.

1.     Plan ahead

The best advice for Black Friday shopping is to plan ahead and start early to get the buys you want. Rank the stores in order of importance and get there early to get the best deals. Some stores offer extra savings to the first 200 customers, so check with your top stores ahead of time to make sure you’re there for it! Outlet malls tend to open at midnight, while traditional shopping malls have a 4 to 5am opening time. This year, some of the bigger box stores are even opening at 8pm the night before! Make sure to check the newspaper and online and app-based tools such as theblackfriday.com to get information on the stores’ biggest deals.

2.     Bring friends

Just as much as Black Friday is a day of fashionista heaven, it is also a one time a year day of social fun! The best parts of Black Friday that I can remember are with my girlfriends blasting Christmas music in the traffic lines headed into the outlet malls at midnight, grabbing Dunkin Donuts breakfast at 4am and camping outside for the malls for doors to open at 5am. I mean every girl can use a good laugh among all the frustration with crazy shoppers! Another plus to shopping with friends is you can tag team long lines. Have one person shop around while another waits in line, then switch!

3.     If you need large items, get them now

The best deals during Black Friday aren’t actually on clothes, shoes and accessories; they’re on the larger items. As most of us are likely broke college students, these aren’t necessarily the goods we look for on an everyday basis, simply because of the bigger price tag. However, if you need a new laptop, a tablet, a new TV, a set of speakers, or any other electronic equipment now is the time to buy. If you’ve been dreaming about a slightly too expensive gift for Christmas, maybe it’s a good time to ask the parents for an early purchase.

4.     Be careful of final sale

Stores love Black Friday because everyone gives into the craze where overbuying is the norm. In fact, it is often very easy to go through Black Friday hysteria, have short-term black outs, or small episodes of irrational spending syndrome. Before you buy, make sure you’re aware of the return policy. Often times, stores will mark items on Black Friday as final sale because they can get away with it. There’s no problem purchasing on final sale, just make sure you’re in true love with your items. If you’re not sure, you’re probably not ready to buy it. Ask your gal pals for some outside advice.

5.     Make sure you’re getting a deal

Retail stores think they’re so slick when it comes to Black Friday. They have signs claiming 60 percent off in huge bolded letters and then in small itty bitty font on the bottom, they hit ya with the truth: it’s only valid for that one rack of clothes over there in the back corner. This phenomenon is most prominent in the stores collegiate fashionistas like to shop in. The mall stores other than the big department stores are the biggest players in this field. It is fine to shop for something not on sale, but just be aware! I’ve found the best deals across the board to be at the outlet malls, where you have a discount on top of a discount. Be sure not to lose sight of savvy shopping techniques and good bargain hunting in the madness.

6.     Don’t forget Cyber Monday

Collegiettes often forget about Cyber Monday! It’s the Internet version of Black Friday and occurs on the Monday following Thanksgiving. Cyber Monday is a great option for collegiettes because, well let’s be honest, we’re on the Internet all day anyway. It’s easy to get lost in the cyberspace of shopping deals, so if you’re participating I hope you have no homework that day! Be careful though, shipping fees can be extensive, especially if you have to send the items back. Also be sure to maximize your safety by paying with a credit card, not a debit card, whenever making purchases on the Internet.

7.     Go with a budget

It is so easy to overshop in the madness of Black Friday. The best way to control spending is to set aside a certain amount of money beforehand, when you haven’t been infected by the hysteria. Bring cash only or keep track of how much you’re spending on your credit card. Once you’ve hit your limit, throw in the towel and make your way on home. Just make sure to keep all your cash and cards in a safe place, Black Friday is a pick pocketer’s day of glory.

With the taste of turkey and pumpkin pie on the tip of your tongue, and the biggest shopping weekend of the year just around the corner, collegiettes have a lot to look forward for the upcoming holiday break. I know I’ll be parked outside at 11:30 with hot cocoa ready to fight my way through the crowds. Just be sure to hold onto that savvy deal hunting nature of the collegiate fashionista, be safe and have fun!