Style

Bike Shorts: A Guide to Styling the Perfect College Bottoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As of late, bike shorts have been catching fire in the realm of mainstream fashion. You’ve probably seen the Kardashian/Jenners wearing them, and models and influencers making them a staple in their off-duty style. At first, I shied away from even considering wearing these seemingly unflattering shorts. 

On a whim, I decided to order a pair for myself after seeing some outfit ideas flying around on social media and boy, oh boy, I’m so glad I did. These have got to be THE most comfortable shorts to wear when you’re walking to class on a hot day. But you might be wondering: how in the world do I style these things? No fear, here is a guide to give you some ideas and inspiration!

1. Mix it up! Here I styled these athletic shorts with a more feminine silhouette. The puff sleeved top adds the perfect contrast to a more structured, sporty look and makes it more wearable for day to day.  

2. Adding pointy-toed, ankle boots can help to elevate your look (literally!). These boots paired with the bike shorts gives a very sleek, chic look. Including a longer layer, such as this olive green coat, also helps to balance out the statement pieces in the bottom half of  your outfit.  

3. For a comfier, more relaxed silhouette, opt for a chunky sweater. Here I paired the shorts with a chunky quarter zip and balanced out the more oversized fit with sleek black boots. You could also wear this outfit with sneakers for ~maximum~  comfort. 

4. For hot weather conditions, wear an oversized tee with these shorts! I like to tuck my tee in halfway (also known as a french tuck for all my Queer Eye fans out there), so that it breaks up all the fabric weighing down on the middle section of my body. 

No matter how you choose to wear these bottoms, have fun with it! Happy styling!

*All photos courtesy of Tracy Le*

Tracy is a first year at the University of Virginia. While her intended major is biology, she also has a passion for photography and writing. In addition to HC, she writes on her own blog, Beyond the Lens, and runs a budding photography business! Check out her Instagram (@letracyy) and as always, happy reading!
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!