This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

During Fall break, I was able to expand my horizons and cook different recipes with my mom. Now that it’s getting colder, I’m starting to crave a good stew or warm, creamy, soup in the evenings after a long day of class. Using some of her recipes, and putting my own twist on it, I bring to you, from my kitchen to yours, a list of the best recipes you can make in your instant pot, crock pot, or whatever ya got.  Enjoy!

Chili

I love a good hearty chili, especially on a cold night. It really is comforting and reminds me of home, especially when I bring back my mom’s recipe with me to have at school. Personally, I like to go the turkey route, instead of using beef. Here’s what you need:

-1 container of ground turkey (I like Perdue or the store brand)

-2 cans of tomatoes

-1 can of black beans

-1 can of chickpeas

-1 packet of chili seasoning

-½ cup of red wine

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

Veggie Soup

-1 container chicken stock

-1 can cannellini beans

-2-3 handfuls of kale or spinach

-Squeeze of lemon

-1 can tomatoes

Cook on high for 4 hours or so. Won’t need that long, since it’s soup.

Cranberry Chutney

-2 bags of cranberries

-½ cup of fruit juice

-½ cup of raisins or other dried fruit

-Pinch of cinnamon

Tis the season! Cook in crockpot until cranberries are soft.

Chicken Fiesta

This is one of my mom’s best recipes. It’s best described as a halfway chili, but with shredded chicken instead, and more like a stew.

-1-2 chicken breasts (I get mine from Costco!) 

-1-2 cans of tomatoes

-1 can of black beans

-2 handfuls of kale

-1 onion, chopped

-1 bell pepper

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Once recipe has finished cooking, chicken will be soft, making it easy to shred with a fork. Serve over ½ cup brown rice or quinoa, and enjoy.

Isabelle is a fourth year majoring in American Studies at the University of Virginia. In her free time, she enjoys binging on Netflix and taking group fitness classes. She has a tri-color corgi puppy named Brooklyn and has an unhealthy obsession with Trader Joes. Follow her at @islorenn on instagram!
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!