Beginner’s Guide to Gardening

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

My neighbors and my family have developed an unspoken agreement over the years: in the summer they bequeath to us large, heirloom tomatoes, and around Christmas we give them a Costco chocolate basket. This has been ongoing for seven years now. They are the better gardeners, and we are the shopaholics. With the weather turning warmer, even with self-isolation it may not be the worst idea to start a personal garden. Afterall, it’s an excuse to get outside—even if it’s just your backyard—and break up the same old stay-at-home routine. 

Here are some easy starter plants to try out. 

Tomatoes

There is a reason why my neighbors grow tomatoes every year: they are incredibly simple to cultivate. Following typical textbook directions, first plant the initial seeds indoors and wait for about a month before transplanting outside. Ideal soil temperatures range from sixty degrees to ninety degrees fahrenheit. When transplanting outside, be careful to allocate some space around each plant. Of course, different tomato varieties have different treatment specificities, so make sure to pay attention to the packaging for details. 

Daffodils

I personally like daffodils. They are a nice pop of color in an otherwise monotone green lawn. These flowers also yield better growth results because their bulbs are deer-resistant. Unlike other bulb plants, such as the tulip, daffodil bulbs are less likely to be dug up by squirrels or deer. The problem of animals getting to the flowers first is a recurring nuisance that my mother tries to combat every year to no avail. In a typical plot, we probably have more overturned flower bulbs than fully grown flowers. 

Mint

Mint plants are surprisingly sturdy. They also grow incredibly fast in practically all directions. A few years ago we planted a few at the corner edge of the house, and now they have completely taken up the entire row. The best method to grow mint is to keep the soil damp and provide moderate shading. Mint itself is pretty versatile when it comes to being repurposed for something else. You can put it in food, mix it into shampoo, or create a few jars of essential oils.  

I am a second year student at UVA. I love books, black tea, and bananas.
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!