Audrey Ogendi ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Year: 4th

Major: WGS with Minor in Biology

Hometown: Kisii, Kenya

In this week’s edition of Campus Celebrity get to know Audrey, a fourth year and active member in the UVA community. From mentoring children to becoming the world’s next doctor, Audrey is always doing something to benefit others and grow herself as a person. Learn about this and much more in this week’s Campus Celebrity!

What are you involved in around grounds?

·      Office of African and African American Affairs Peer Advising Program: Executive committee: Mentor:  3 years now  (a program that pairs incoming African American students and transfer with upper classmen African American students)

·      Gates Millennium Scholars Executive committee: 4 years now

·      YWLP (young women Leaders) Facilitator: 2nd years now

·      Vagina Monologues: cast member: 3rd years now

·       CGH (CGH) Center for Global Health Selection for Scholar committee: 1st year serving

·       Perfect Praise Dance Ministries (PPDM executive committee: dancer: 3 years now  (a dance ministry for God)

·       Action Against Ebola: education activist (help raise funds for the Ebola crisis

·      Organization of African Students: member & dancer: 3 years now: also been on the executive

·      Adventist Christian Fellowship (ACF) member and Public relations chair: 4 years now

·      Madison House: Volunteer: 2 years now

·      Jefferson Public Citizen

·      Center for Global Health Scholar

Why are you involved with this/these organization(s)? How do they add to your experience at UVA?

I feel that a student geos to college to learn networking and how to give back to the community. The above organizations help me to accomplish both. The greatest thing I have learned at UVa is mentorship and giving back to the community. I think also learning how to interact with unique students, faculty, and staff has taught me how to connect.

What is your favorite thing to do during your free time?

I love spontaneity. One moment I want to sing and dance, the next I want to play basketball or spend time with my friends.

What’s your dream job and why?

I want to be a medical doctor in a rural village in Africa.  The greatest joy I have is putting a smile in people face by giving them hope.

Advice you would give your first year self?

No matter the path you take. Just know it is your path and nobody will ever walk where you walk and stand where you stand. So make your mistakes and then pick yourself up and dust yourself off.

If you were stranded on an island what would you bring?

Someone else with me, I believe human were made to interact. We cannot live without one another.  I love to socialize and I would die without talking to someone. So I would carry a person.

Rapid Fire Questions

Favorite show? Empire

Celebrity crush? Chris Brown

Favorite color? GREEN

Hidden talent? I can make my stomach talk

Favorite movie? Mean Girls

Dream vacations spot? Space

Block party or Foxfield? Block Party

Favorite place on grounds? Drama Building

Starbucks or Shenandoah Joe’s? Starbucks

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!