An Ode To Eli Rallo’s “Planless Saturday”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Saturday has always been one of my favorite—if not my favorite—days of the week. Waking up early on a Monday morning, I dream of making it to Saturday when I have a reprieve from school and the other stressors of the school week. I, however, historically put a lot of pressure on making Saturdays the “best day of the week.” It can almost never live up to my expectations, leading me to feel a bit deflated and already looking forward to the next Saturday where I can try again to have the “perfect” day. This never-ending cycle takes the fun out of a beautiful day of the week.

My favorite content creator, Eli Rallo, introduced me to what she calls “Planless Saturday.” She describes “Planless Saturday” as only having two rules: deciding who you want to spend your day with and what time you want to meet up. Want to spend the day by yourself? “Planless Saturday” accounts for that—allowing you to choose to spend the day with yourself and then let the rest unfold organically. This reconceptualization of Saturdays frees you from the pressures of having to plan everything you want to do in a single Saturday. 

Eli Rallo is my favorite creator for an endless number of reasons, but I especially love her passion for enjoying the little things in life and taking care of yourself—I know her content has lifted me up on my hard days. I love “Planless Saturday” because it removes the layer of pressure that I often feel to have the best Saturday ever. I find that whenever I lean into the vibe of her “Planless Saturday,” my days turn out to be so much more enjoyable—it allows room and flexibility to just see where your day ends up. For me, I especially love going for walks and deciding where I want to stop for a coffee or to decide to browse in a store spontaneously.

The next time you are thinking about your weekend and feel the temptation to have a fully booked Saturday, think about “Planless Saturday” and the power of letting the day unfold for itself. Weekdays already have such strict schedules—let your Saturday instead be a day full of possibilities.

Elizabeth Parsons is a staff writer at the University of Virginia’s HerCampus chapter. She joined the team during the 2022-2023 academic year. Elizabeth is from Virginia Beach, VA, where she has lived for her whole life. As a third-year student with a passion for reading and writing, she is studying both English and French. She is also the Senior Associate of The Cavalier Daily’s Life Desk, which focuses on content specific to student life at UVA — including features of student events and organizations, food-related articles, student columns, and top 10 lists. Beyond HerCampus, Elizabeth loves sipping oat milk lattes, strolling through bookstores, reading the latest issue of The New Yorker, playing Wordle, swimming, going to the beach, and watching reality TV— especially Below Deck Down Under. She is always looking for book recommendations, and she loves talking about her latest reads. After spending last summer in London, she is eager to return — and plans to move to London eventually. She is looking forward to another year with HerCampus and to sharing a mix of all her passions with readers. From the best lip gloss to her tips for studying abroad, Elizabeth is excited to share about all the things that matter to her.