Amelia Gilmer ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Amelia Gilmer 

Year: First

Hometown: McLean, Virginia

Major:  Pre-Comm and History

What are you involved in?

I’m involved in the Daughters of the American Revolution- which is a patriotic philanthropic organization.  I’m also a member of Alpha Delta Pi at UVA.

Aside from these organizations, I also volunteer at the WWII memorial, which is really cool. We interview veterans and post the videos of the interviews online. Not only are they a teaching tool, it’s also a digital copy of their stories. So far, we’ve interviewed over 500 veterans!

What will you be doing this summer?

This summer I will be, most likely, staying local. I’ll be in Charlottesville taking classes; I’m hoping to get into a summer language program. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll focus on taking classes that knock out requirements from the College.

Your top 5 worst fashion nightmares?

When it comes to fashion, I have a lot of specifics.

1)   This might be old fashioned but NO white pants after Labor Day.

2)   I’m against clashing prints. I’m a firm believer that you are only to have one print on top and a solid on the bottom (or vice versa).

3)   Two things are terrible: Rhinestones and tracksuits. Now, rhinestones on tracksuits? Let’s not.

4)   I love Lily Pulitzer BUT the prints need to be muted. Lily needs to be worn in a sophisticated manner, in a way where you don’t look like you’re five years old.

5)   When people wear rubber flip-flops in public, those are strictly for the shower.

How would you describe your style?

I would say that I’m preppy (like most people at UVA) but I’m not overly preppy. I absolutely love wearing navy, anchors, etc. but I’m not going to be wearing Lily Pulitzer and Vineyard Vines every single day. Also: comfort is key. I’m not going to wear an itchy sweater just because it’s cute.

One thing you can’t do, but wish you could?

I wish I could travel back in time. I love history, and I’ve always been fascinated to learn about it. The way that we think today is so different from the way people in the past were thinking. We can read as much as we want to about history but we’ll never have the 100% experience.

With that… What’s your favorite time in history, a time where you wish you could live in?

I love the Antebellum Period- the 1820’s to the 1860’s. I took a class last semester on this period, and I absolutely loved it. It’s so interesting, to me at least, because it’s the time right before the Civil War. A lot of people talk about the fact that the Civil War could’ve been avoided, it’s interesting to learn about that. Oh, and the fashion was very cool. I love looking at those big ball gowns!

CHOOSE:

Pandora or Spotify

Neither, ITunes Radio is what I listen to… and I’m probably the only one.

J. Crew or Ann Taylor

J. Crew is able to achieve an understated way of preppy. I really love their clothes because they’re wearable for every season and there’s always a fantastic sale going on!

Italian or French (food)

I’m Italian! You could eat Italian for two weeks straight and never get sick of it.

New Miley Cyrus or Old Miley

Hannah Montana was my show when I was younger.

Favorites of the moment:

Perfume: Summer by Burberry. I’ve had it for two years now; it’s a really great citrusy scent. It’s fun and light!

Brand: J. Crew (if you haven’t noticed). I’m pretty sure that 90 percent of my closet is J. Crew. The brand just works well on everyone!

Song: New Romantics by Taylor Swift (I love anything by her!)

Makeup Item:  I just got the Urban Decay primer shadow. It has a little sparkle so I just wear that instead of actual eye shadow. It’s so quick and easy to put on!

Jewelry: I have staple pieces that I wear all the time. My Tiffany charm bracelet (which broke but I’m working on getting it fixed), a horseshoe bracelet my mom got for me, a ring I got for graduation from my aunt, and a Diamonds By The Yard necklace that I also got for graduation. I also usually wear sapphire stones, which is perfect because it’s navy (which I love) and it’s my Birth Stone. I go for simple but elegant.

Smile, it makes you live longer!