ACC Showdown: Another Virginia-Duke Matchup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

While Virginia Tech may be our all time rival Duke is coming up a close second, but only in men’s basketball. Two years ago, Joey Hoops (Joe Harris) made us all into believers as he lead the Hoos with 36 points and a win over No. 3 ranked Duke. Now the time has come for Duke to return to JPJ and let’s just say the fans are ready. The game was quick to sell out and people are ready to cheer on our outstanding men’s team to what we believe will be another thrilling victory over the Blue Devils. As sports lovers and fans we have learned to “embrace the pace” and rely on other emerging stars on the team such as Malcolm Brogdon, Justin Anderson, and Anthony Gill to lead us to victory and our current No. 2 ranking.

While the teams are the same, their personal has changed significantly in the last two years. Duke, primarily lead by underclassman, has made a mark in NCAA men’s basketball, claiming the fifth spot in the NCAA after losing back-to-back games against Miami and NC State. They are lead by a freshman center Jahlil Okafor who has caused havoc on other teams frontcourts by exposing their defensive weaknesses in the paint. On the other hand, their freshman guards, Tyus Jones and Justice Winslow, form a dynamic duo in the backcourt, playing very well off of each other. With all that being said, this Virginia vs. Duke match up should not disappoint. The scoring power of Duke versus the pack line of Virginia will make for another stellar showdown and should be one for the books. Actually, it already is, considering College Gameday will be on grounds to cover the game starting at 10am on Saturday. It is the primetime game of the week and this is the first College Gameday in school history! So if you have any plans January the 31st, cancel them, and tune in as UVA goes up against our new found rivals, the Duke Blue Devils.

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!