World map in IKEA under a light bulb
World map in IKEA under a light bulb
Original photo by Caitlin Lu
Life > Experiences

A Virginia Guide for the OOS Kids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

During my first year, I was approached on the first floor lounge of Gibbons by a girl inquiring if I was from Texas. I never wore state merchandise or showed any outwards affinity for my home state, so I was taken aback by her spot on speculation.

“How could you tell?” I asked.

“By the way you say ‘y’all’.”

Although my drawl has lessened, my amazement for Virginia and its endless list of novelties has never quite dwindled. Here’s a few of all the things I found mind-boggling in Virginia for all the other OOS kids out there.

Harris Teeter

Harris Teeter is a supermarket that I’ve nicknamed Hairy Titties. It’s basically the Virginian equivalent of H.E.B., a Texan grocery chain whose name honors creator, Howard E. Butt. My nickname for Harris Teeter is a nod to Mr. Butt, but unfortunately it goes unnoticed by many and is often met with a raised eyebrow.

NOVA

NOVA is the only way you can reference Northern Virginia, whose distinguished subculture is still a mystery to me. Even though Annandale and Centreville are separate cities, they feel like a stones throw away. My Virginian friends hesitate with 30 minute drives to eat at new places, but my family and I used to drive 3 hours for our Asian groceries and good Asian food. Virginia feels small, which makes it easily navigable.

DMV

My room mate mentioned DMV in a sentence where the context did not at all suggest department of motorized vehicles. After she left the room, I googled up DMV online to find out that it stands for the D.C., Maryland, Virginia metropolitan area.

Everyone assumes DC when You say Washington

My first year of college, everyone asked where I was from. Although I grew up in Texas, I was living in Yakima, Washington at the time. Despite responding with “I’m from Washington,” everyone assumed I was talking about DC. I had to clearly say “Washington State” from then on.

Forget eating tacos or barbecue

I’ll be frank: Virginians are more often ripped off of their tacos than they would ever like to admit. Growing up on breakfast tacos, I cried the first time I walked into Taco Bell at the age of 20 and will never voluntarily go inside another one again. Craving some good old barbecue, I walked into N2GO as a naive and hopeful child. I’ve left still in search of finding a place to satisfy such cravings.

Hi, y'all! I'm Julia and am from Texas! I'm a third year studying biology and East Asian studies for pre-dental. If I'm not on YouTube, you can find me active on Yelp or Netflix. Aside from writing and reading, I enjoy taking photos. Thank you for reading my pieces!