This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

College is the first time most of us can have a bathroom that we can decorate. This, of course, excludes dorm life. If you live in an apartment or house (off campus) without those less-than-ideal communal bathrooms, decorating your bathroom can be a great way to show some individuality and personal style in your space. Make your bathroom a bit more aesthetic by taking the following steps: 

1. Himalayan salt night light – This little addition can make your college bathroom feel spa-like. These are available on Amazon, and give your room a pinkish glow that can give you the right vibes as you apply your Sunday face mask or take a bubble bath. I put mine next to my mirror, and use it whenever I want more “moody” lighting in my bathroom space.
  2. “Fancy” hand lotion and soap – Having an aesthetic hand soap/lotion combo next to your sink can also elevate your “spa” space. My soap/lotion pairing is from Aesop; both smell great and give my bathroom a more luxurious feel. However, you can also get these soaps/lotions from places like Lush, Meyers, Anthropologie, or Bath and Body Works. 
  3. Cute bath mat/curtains –  This is probably the best way to put a bit more of “you” into your bathroom space. My bath mat says “sweet cheeks” and my shower curtain has strawberries on it. The options really are limitless. Other possibilities could be images of animals or plants, different patterns, or iridescent coloring. My favorite place to buy these items from is Urban Outfitters. Other great options are Society 6 or Target. 
  4. Bathroom plant – Plants are a good way to add some life (literally) into your space. The best plants to put in your bathroom are Bamboo pots, Orchids, Gardenias, Eucalyptus, and Ferns. If you do put plants indoors though, make sure your bathroom has a window (and some outside light). Also, it’s best to choose pots with drainage holes or air plants. Eucalyptus, though, can just hang from your shower head, and has a great calming smell!
  5. Great smelling candles – My roommate and I put a candle right where our toiletries go to fortify the optimal spa feel. The candle is called “Spa Day.” The best candle bathroom scents are said to be citrus, mint, lavender, and vanilla!
  6. Shower light – This was our most recent addition. Ours is from Amazon. It gets drilled into the ceiling of your shower and comes with a remote with which you can control the light function (by color). Color options range from red, green, pink, or purple. There’s also a choice for the light to cycle through these various colors (creating almost a light show effect). 
  7. Shower caddy – This last necessity probably has the most functional use. We use it to organize our body wash, hair products, soaps, and razors, and it keeps our shower from getting too clogged and cluttered with toiletry items. This product is from Amazon too, and ours comes with two levels, making it super easy for us each to have our own shelf. It hangs super easily from the shower head! 

I hope this gave you some helpful ideas for kicking your bathroom’s decor up a notch. It may seem frivolous to devote time and money to this space, but just a few changes can make such a difference. It’s time to be as relaxed as possible during those sacred self-care days!

My name is Julia Cloppse, I am a second year at UVA and I'm from Staten Island, New York!