7 Tips For Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Hindsight is 20/20. Here are some ideas and tips I thought of after traveling abroad for the summer.

1. Save everything.

Souvenirs don’t always need to be purchased. Collect the little things you find while you’re traveling. Even metro passes, museum tickets, restaurant business cards, and maps can be saved and later used to create a display. One way to display your memories is through a shadow box. Shadow boxes are a unique and creative way to display a variety of souvenirs. You can find shadow boxes in all different colors and sizes at your local craft store for very reasonable prices! Plus, they can also be easily displayed in a fun gallery wall.

2. Use Spoon University.

It can be difficult to decide on a restaurant when you are unfamiliar with a city. Spoon University is a great way to find delicious restaurants in a variety of cities abroad. Articles are written by students for students and are extremely reliable. Make sure to check out the articles before you go so that you can make sure you have time to hit all the different restaurants.

3. Pack a small duffel bag.

While studying abroad, it’s easier to travel to different cities or countries than when you were at home. To make traveling more convenient, make sure to bring a smaller duffel bag or backpack with you so can easily pack for weekend trips. A sturdy and roomy backpack for traveling is a wise investment because you may have to carry it around until you can check into your hotel or Airbnb right away.  

4. Back up your photos.

You will definitely take hundreds of photos during your trip abroad. These photos are irreplaceable, so make sure to take care of them. Phones have a terrible habit of breaking at the most inconvenient times. One of the last things you want to happen is lose all the photos you took throughout your trip. Try to backup your photos to your computer or hard drive as often as you can.

5. Buy tickets online.

The lines at popular attractions can be extremely long, especially during the summer months. Try to buy as many of your tickets online as you can to avoid wasting time waiting in long lines. The most popular attractions tend to run out of tickets quickly. If you aren’t fluent it can also be easier to buy tickets online instead of trying to communicate in person.

6. Look for smaller stores.

It’s easy to be sucked into the large and unfamiliar department stores in different countries. Even though it is definitely fun to explore the different chain stores, some of the best finds are hidden in small stores on the side streets. If you do end up buying souvenirs from these smaller stores try to take a picture of the store. It’s fun to show your family and friends where you bought theirs and your souvenirs from.

7. Remember that things won’t always go as planned.

Traveling as young students on a budget can be difficult. Things will definitely not always go as planned. Try your best to go with the flow and remember where you are. Make the best of every situation by traveling with quality friends and always remember how lucky you are to be traveling!