This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

There is a wealth of great TV shows out there, but we’re unaware of so many because of language or cultural barriers. If you’re looking to venture outside of your usual watchlist but don’t know where to start, here are a few recommendations that will whisk you around the world through your screen!

Love 101

In this eight-episode Turkish series, a kindhearted homeroom teacher’s decision to resign causes a group of high school misfits to face the threat of expulsion from the other teachers. To get her to stay, the rebels enlist the help of the school’s model student. Their plan? Get their teacher to fall in love with the new gym instructor! 

Through this comedic story, the kids learn about love, care, and being true to themselves. The depth of the characters and the three-dimensional plot drive this show.

SKAM

This show was adapted by many different countries, but the Norwegian version was especially great. Each of the four seasons follow a different character through his or her life, loves, and heartbreaks. What’s so great about this show is how real it is. Through each season, relevant issues, like loneliness, feminism, sexuality, violence, and cyberbullying, are addressed – all things that make modern-day relationships so complex. Identity is a central theme throughout, and it’s very diverse.

Angry Mom

Of course, I couldn’t go on without mentioning at least one K-drama. K-dramas have taken over the world because of their tendency to remain light, fluffy, and heartwarming. 

Angry Mom is a family drama about a mother who struggles to combat the violence and ostracism her daughter faces at school. The only twist is that she looks almost young enough to be a student herself. Desperate, she decides to go undercover at school only to come across surprising secrets among the students and faculty alike. This show does a fantastic job of juggling comedy and much heavier topics on sexual violence, political corruption, and the unconditional love a mother has for her child. 

Young Wallander

Set in modern-day Sweden, this show is a prequel to Henning Mankell’s fictional novels following Inspector Kurt Wallander. In this Netflix adaptation, though, we get to follow a much younger Wallander during his time as a police officer and the events that caused him to quit to become an inspector instead. If you’re into action, adventure, and crime, this is the fast-paced show for you.

Grand Hotel

This Spanish drama is set in the early 20th century, following the mysteries of a hotel and the secrets of aristocrats and servants living and working within. The main character, Julio, infiltrates the hotel as a footman to investigate the disappearance of his sister. 

I think this is a great show if you’re looking for something soapy, dramatic, but still full of adventure. The beautiful setting and fun wardrobe of the characters are visually appealing too! However, I will say that you might need some patience to stick with the storyline. Like most soapy dramas, the show is a series of unrealistic close calls, bad character decisions, and people coming back to life two episodes later.

Delhi Crime

A significantly more serious show, Delhi Crime is an Indian crime drama based on the aftermath of the 2012 gang rape that altered India’s viewpoint on women’s issues. It’s gritty and hard to watch, but the cinematography, storytelling, and fast-paced action are very compelling and give insight into the ongoing conversation about sexual violence in India. It leaves you with the indignance and helplessness that encompassed the real-life case as well.

Any one of these TV series are great to binge-watch because of their complicated characters, great cinematography, and ability to hold your attention. If you’re looking to explore shows outside of your cultural barriers, be sure to check these out!

Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!