6 Halloween Novels to Read at Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Hello friends, welcome to this week’s selection of book recommendations. Now that fall has officially begun, we must dive deeper into the realm of mystery and the fantastical. Spread out your imagination and get uncomfortable; the following novels contain tales of the supernatural, mystical, and grotesque.

Into the Woods by Lyn Gardner

The novel takes hold of some classical fairy tales, mixes them together, and twists various plot elements into one original story following three sisters and their adventurous quest through the deep, dark woods. Readers may recognize some of their favorite fairy tale characters, such as the Pied Piper, the witch from Hansel and Gretel, the illustrious Rapunzel, and witches galore!

The Name of This Book is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch

The concept of this whole book is mystery. The mystery of the author’s pen name is one; the mystery of how to read the book’s formatting is another; and the mystery of the plot itself is interwoven in a maze of details and surprises. Harkening back to the feel of pop-up books or choose-your-adventure formats, this novel forces readers to engage with the story in more ways than one.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

What would Halloween be without Frankenstein? Contrary to popular cartoons that depict the story of Frankenstein with a laughable monster and bad puns, Mary Shelley’s book is strikingly intellectual and features a high amount of scientific precision and detail. A fantastical story told by the academic protagonist Victor Frankenstein, readers experience a very personal account of the monster’s creation and its creator.

Deep and Dark and Dangerous by Mary Downing Hahn

One summer at the beach house; one babysitter watching her cousin by the beach; one body at the bottom of the lake: bad memories can haunt you for a lifetime, and for this novel’s main set of protagonists, the past always seems to catch up with the present. A childhood prank gone wrong continues to influence the lives of two sisters decades later.

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Perhaps one of the most classic mystery novels to date with multiple spin-offs and variations, Agatha Christie crafts a fast paced who-dun-it set on a long distance passenger train. The cast of characters are quickly introduced, and as the detective gets his assignment, readers have the challenge of solving the mystery either alongside him or before he does.

Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz

This one is another mystery within a mystery. Drawing inspiration from classic novelists of the genre such as Agatha Christie, Horowitz elaborately designs and intricate mystery that has cross-geographical connections and implications. An interesting point of the book is that the main character is a book publisher and not a traditional detective, and that she is far removed from where the actual murder mystery takes place. However, through various circumstances, all of a sudden she is forced into its epicenter.

I am a second year student at UVA. I love books, black tea, and bananas.
UVA Contributer Account