This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Spring is a great time of year. People finally start putting away their heavy winter jackets, hats, and gloves and trade them in for white shorts, dresses, and sandals. The weather is beautiful during this time, especially in Charlottesville. One of my favorite things about spring, however, is updating my makeup bag. Brands have started to roll out their new spring lines filled with pastels and shimmer. Personally, I could buy everything, but this spring I limited myself to only a few essential additions to my makeup collection. If you’re looking to update your makeup repertoire, here are a few quality options to consider. All of these will help keep your makeup in tact all day during the spring and summer heat and give you that sought after post-tan glow. Here are some must-haves for spring, including some high-end products and more affordable ones.

1. Highlighters – Highlighters are huge in the beauty community right now. They are especially in demand for spring. A quality highlighter can make your skin look refreshed and nourished all day long. There is an abundance of highlighters on the market right now, but they are not all created equal. Bad highlighters will fade fast and can apply unevenly leaving you with an unnatural look. One great highlighter is the BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter. This highlighter has the hefty price of $38, but it is sure to last you a while. This product comes in a wide range of shades, ensuring there is a shade for every skin tone. If the steep price tag turns you off then try the E.L.F Baked Blush for only $3. It’s a great highlighter for a fraction of the price.

Photos Courtesy of Sephora

2. Setting Spray – The spring and summer heat can prove to be a challenge for even the best foundations. The humidity tends to make foundation slide and deteriorate throughout the day, but have no fear, because a good setting spray can save the day. Urban Decay’s All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray has a cult following of beauty insiders. It is difficult to find someone who hasn’t fallen in love with this product. As a bonus, this product works as a primer, too. While it is on the pricier side at $31, right now you can find great deals on it because the company is trying to empty its inventory in order to change the product’s packaging.

Photo Courtesy of Sephora

3. Waterproof Mascara – If you plan on spending any time near the beach or even just outside in the heat, waterproof mascara is a necessity. Although many mascaras claim to be waterproof, some are much better than others. My personal favorite is Tarte’s Lights, Camera, Splashes Waterproof Mascara. This mascara will not budge until you want it to. Unlike other waterproof mascara, this product will come off with makeup wipes so you do not have to worry about investing in an eye makeup removing solution. You can find this mascara for $21.

Photo Courtesy of Sephora

4. Sunscreen – As you are starting to spend more time outside, make sure you don’t forget to protect your skin from the sun. Applying sunscreen to your face every day can do great things for your skin in the long run. People are often hesitant to apply sunscreen because they are afraid of the added oils and the breakouts that often accompany them. There are, however, many sunscreens that are designed for sensitive skin and the face specifically. As a person who is very particular about what products I use in my skincare routine, I highly recommend Everyday Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50 by Supergoop! If you are going to invest in anything for your skin, I recommend it be sunscreen. In 20 years, your skin will thank you. This product retails for $19.

Photo Courtesy of Sephora

5. Bronzer – The last spring beauty must-have is a bronzer. Bronzer is especially useful for when you’re dying for a tan, but have no time to go outside and do it the old-fashioned way. Bronzer can add the hint of color to your skin that you’re desiring. An especially popular bronzer is the Hoola Matte Bronzer by Benefit Cosmetics. This Bronzer is a surprisingly universal color that many skin tones will find flattering. You can also use it with or without a tan. This is a pricey buy for $29. However, it will last you a long time. If you are looking for something more affordable, Physicians Formula makes a great bronzer called Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Airbrushing Pressed Bronzer. This product is only $12.99.

Photo Courtesy of Sephora

Photo Courtesy of Ulta

Spring is a fun time for new fashion and beauty trends so take advantage of the season! Makeup is extremely personal, as it should be. What works for one person may not always work for another, however, these products are highly recommended by a wide range of people with different needs and styles. As always, make sure to experiment with different trends and products. Add your own personal twist to upcoming trends and make them your own!