5 Catchy Alternatives to “Closer” For Your Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

If you walk down Rugby Road on a Friday night, you will probably hear “Closer” by The Chainsmokers 15 times. While “Closer” is pretty great the first 100 times you hear it, people need to branch out and discover new music to add to their party playlists. Need some ideas? Check out these soon to be hits.

1.     “24k Magic”-Bruno Mars

Let’s be honest here: is it possible for Bruno Mars to make a boring song? Mars’ new single, “24k Magic,” is upbeat and fun with its electric 80s feel. Bruno Mars is the king of songwriting and producing. We may have gotten sick of “Uptown Funk,” but give his new single a try. You won’t be sorry.

2.     “Trust Nobody”-Cashmere Cat (ft. Selena Gomez and Tory Lanez)

Once you get your mind past thinking of Selena Gomez as Alex Russo from Wizards of Waverly Place, “Trust Nobody” is worth checking out. Its catchy chorus and danceable beat makes it a great alternative to your overplayed hits. Add this pop song to your going out playlist on Spotify right now!

3.     “All We Know”-The Chainsmokers

I know what you’re thinking. This article is about alternatives to “Closer,” so why would I want to listen to another song by The Chainsmokers? Trust me. This song is a bit slower than “Closer” but just as noteworthy. Give it a try, especially if “Closer” is your favorite song at the moment!

4.     “Final Song”-MØ

The verses may be slow, but once the beat drops for the chorus, this song is a perfect song for any occasion. Whenever you listen to this song, it’s impossible to avoid at least tapping your foot to the beat. If you haven’t already, definitely check this one out!

5.     “False Alarm”-The Weeknd

I dare you to sit still while listening to this song. With the perfect balance of a ballad, hip hop, electronic and pop song, I know this will be a hit on the charts. If you liked “The Hills” or “Can’t Feel My Face,” give this song a listen. In my opinion, it’s the best song from The Weeknd yet!  

My name is Nora and I'm a first year at UVA. I'm undecided in my major but it will most likely be something politics related. I really love swimming and UVA! WAHOOWA!