The 5 Best Teas For This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Okay, so we’re all coffee addicts, I know. Wake up, coffee, class, coffee, lunch, coffee… etc. I mean, who doesn’t love the stuff? It’s a quick (and legal) way to keep yourself awake! But the caffeine can make you cranky, and the addiction is real. This holiday season perhaps look to some other liquid tantalizers. Here is a list of the five best teas for this holiday season.

Awake by Tazo

This black tea says it all in the name. For those of you who don’t wish to give up your daily caffeine intake, try this morning tea that still contains caffeine. It’s strong, but rather simple so it’s easy to drink in the morning. It’s also available at Starbucks, making it extra easy to pick up a cup!

Rooibos Tea

This red leaf tea is from South Africa and is used there for everything from having a headache to calming stress. While I’m not entirely sure it definitively cures any of these things, it’s nice to know that it possible could! It does contain high levels of antioxidants, so when you get sick of downing green tea for this purpose, give this one a shot. Try the vanilla Rooibos tea latte at Starbucks. Instead of espresso, they put foamed milk in the tea, which I find delicious. It’s my go-to throughout the winter months.

Spiced Apple Tea

Cider is delicious, but the calories add up quickly. When you feel like you need to scratch your cider itch, try reaching for a cup of spiced apple tea. There are a variety of manufactures, and you can usually find it with or without caffeine, depending on your preference. If it’s not quite fulfilling your cider wishes try adding a dash of cinnamon or caramel to the tea. It will help with the flavor while still keeping the calories down.

Chocolate Tea

I know this sounds crazy, but I think chocolate tea is actually delicious. This is another great substitute for hot chocolate when you start to realize that hot chocolate is, well, chocolate and may not be the best for your waistline. There are a variety of chocolate tea combinations such as strawberry chocolate tea, and peppermint chocolate tea. My personal favorite comes from The Republic of Tea.

Peppermint

Peppermint is a classic, but is a great option for those who wish to avoid caffeine all together. It’s great for the mornings because the heat of the drink wakes you up, but when you finally decide to go to bed you’re not jittering from caffeine withdrawal. Peppermint tea and honey is one of my favorite winter combinations.

So this winter when you’re craving some caffeine, or perhaps downing too many delicious treat drinks, try looking to tea instead. Who knows, you might end up liking it better. 

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!