katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Alternative Ways To Make Extra Money in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.
1) Sell your used textbooks directly to other students.
Instead of allowing those textbooks – that you spent $700 to rent – to just collect dust in the back of your closest, try selling them to other students at the beginning of the new semester. University bookstore often greatly slash the worth of the book the longer it remains in your possession, not to mention making reductions because of any highlighting and writing pages. 

In my experience, the best way to receive a fair price for your used textbooks is to eliminate the middle man (i.e. the bookstore) and sell them directly to other students. Often there are Facebook groups dedicated to making this process easier, you just have to look for them. Sometimes, you can also search for online textbook buy-back sites, if you want to sell your textbooks en masse. HOWEVER, be sure that you also search for reviews of these sites to be sure that they are reputable services and not scams – some of my favorites are chegg.com and valorebooks.com.

2) Become a campus representative for a brand.

Usually startup brands seek out college students to advertise their product on campus. This method is easy and fun – you get a paycheck for being a college student. In my personal experience, I’ve worked as a campus rep for a brand known as Vhoto. Vhoto is a new photo-sharing app that allows you to create and edit videos, pictures, and GIFs. My duties included testing product upgrades, referring friends to download and use the app, and offering comments and suggestions on the product.

Besides extra cash, you can also score some free swag, a leadership position to add to your résumé. You can check out thecampusrep.com, campushero.com, and campusjob.com for opportunities to work as a campus rep.

3)Participate in Psych studies.

Every year I receive an email from a University professor who needs students to participate in a study for her research. The only responsibility of the participants is to devote a certain amount of time – to be determined based on the individual studies – to completing surveys, engaging in short interviews, etc., for which your time will be compensated. These opportunities are often limited, but can be found by visiting the Psychology Department.

4) Offer your services as a tutor.

By becoming a tutor, you can help out another student and refine your knowledge on a particular field of study, all while earning some extra cash. You can find these opportunities through school resources, or you can advertise your services on your own (to fellow college students or to grade school students). More importantly, you can create your own hours and desired rate of compensation.

5) Babysit for local families.

This is another one of my favorites, and if you’re responsible and good with children, this will be one of your favorite methods too. Before getting started, be sure to ask around and research the “average” compensation and hourly rates for babysitters in your area.

As a college student, you may be able to demand a higher wage – especially as an Education, Nursing, Pre-Med, or Psychology major. Also, certain credentials, such as CPR and Basic First Aid, are a definite plus – in some cases, a necessity – for employment. You may even be able to find steady, long-term employment as a babysitter or nanny.

Hey, I'm Jordan! I'm a second year majoring in International Relations and Women, Gender & Sexuality. Here's my life in a nutshell: Feisty Feminist. Big hair enthusiast. Professional online shopper. Admirer of all things French. Overwhelmingly sarcastic. Lover of small animals.
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!